General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

512MB Reading as 256MB

by darkangel_bong ·

I tried upgrading my Notebook’s memory module on a P4 2.4GHz Compaq Presario 1532AP, 256MB PC2100 RAM with 512MB 64×64 Same spec but its only reading half of its memory (512 as 256). Tried swapping slots & different brands still giving same. Any suggestions? Compatibility Issues? Thanks!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: 512MB Reading as 256MB

by decox1st ·

In reply to 512MB Reading as 256MB

you can’t have exactly what you needed in that case .The size is reduced because the system cache will take a part of it .
      So whenever you add a new ram have that in mind .

I hope this helps

by murray brydon ·

Most likely check your manufacturers website to see if there is a bios update that would solve this

by softcorp.us ·

Hello…

This is a common problem and I’ve seen it many times myself. There is likely nothing wrong with your RAM stick or your computer. Rather, there is an incompatibility between your RAM and your computer (notebook in this case). You need a different RAM stick.

How does this happen?
      =====================
      The short explanation is that some computers cannot work correctly with “high density” RAM chips. The computer will only “see” half the rated size of the RAM stick. Such computers will “see” the full rated size when “low density” RAM chips are used. In order to make a large capacity stick out of low density RAM chips, more chips are needed and the total cost is higher.

Sorry for the bad news…

Did this solve your problem?

—–Steve Jackson

CEO/CSA
      Software Corporation (Softcorp)
      http://www.softcorp.us/probono
      Advanced pro bono tools and utilities free for personal use

by dryflies ·

The HP web site specifies DDR PC2100 RAM. It also says that your presario will take 512MB sticks. I would run a memory diagnostic on it. given all the info, sounds like an address line problem. What is your other stick of RAM? They might need to be the same size to work correctly.

by sonnguyen ·

possibly your motherboard only supports that much try flashing bios?

by kayodon ·

Hi
      I had the same problem with an old P.C I bought RAM 256 MB PC133 and it read 128 MB. The problem was I should have bought 256MB for PC 100 which was the speed of the motherboard.
      Your RAM needs to be compatable with the speed of your motherboard your manual should have this information
      Kay

by willcomp ·

While I’m somewhat at a loss since you’ve tried different brands of RAM, here’s what it is not.

It is not a density issue. That primarily relates to SDRAM (PC100/PC133).

Older PCs may not support new high speed DDR RAM, but you apparently have PC2100 (DDR266) RAM.

Specs for your notebook state that it has 2 banks and supports 512MB per bank with a total of 1024MB. So size should not be an issue.

If you had only tried one stick of RAM, I would suspect faulty RAM.

I highly recommend Crucial memory. Here’s a link that may be of help.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Compaq%2BPresario+Notebooks.&mfr=Compaq&cat=RAM&model=Presario+1500+Series.&submit=Go

Dalton

by darkangel_bong ·

I’ve Already tried Bios Updates. Swapping slots. Tried DansElec, Samsung and Buffalo Brand 512MB Memory modules same spec… same story.

by 5jgibbs ·

Try changing this in your boot.ini under ctrl pannel — system — advanced- startup and recovery — settings – then click EDIT!

then add this line

it will be in “”

[boot loader]
      timeout=30
      default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /fastdetect
      “multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /maxmem=512″

by 5jgibbs ·

In reply to Reply To: 512MB Reading as 256MB

oops.. well. . you may want to stick were it says

“Microsoft Windows XP Professional” — stick /512 before the end of the quote to look like this

[boot loader]
        timeout=30
        default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
        [operating systems]
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /fastdetect
        “multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional/512″ /maxmem=512”

by 5jgibbs ·

OHHH..BTW.. this will make your computer think you have 512mb of ram.. then run some tests.. that will varify if your ram is working…

by hal 9000 ·

Well according the the specs it should be working. Are you seeing this error on the POST or in Windows? Also are you running 2 sticks of RAM and are they the same size? Now depending on which model CPU you have it may or may not support HTT but even if it doesn’t it is always a good idea to fill both slots with RAM so you get the best performance from the CPU’s abilities. Also try Flashing the BIOS with the latest available.

If all of the above are correct it has to be a M’Board problem so if it still UG ring Compaq and get then to repair/replace it. BUT BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE YOU ALLOW IT ANYWHERE NEAR THEM. As their first course of action on any warranty work is to wipe the HDD and reload it.

Col

by hal 9000 ·

If you are getting the right amount shown in the BIOS then it really is working and if it is showing half of the available size in Windows forget about this as it is a Windows problem and Windows either isn’t reporting the Memory Load properly {most likely} or the drivers for the bigger memory have no been loaded when the original version of Windows was installed. Which I can not remember if you even mentioned which version of Windows you are using. But if it is something like 98 or ME it could very well be correct and just not reporting the real memory load as these versions of Windows worked with smaller memory loads and actually didn’t work as well with the bigger amounts of memory that became cheap enough to buy.

by darkangel_bong ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 10 reply threads