General discussion

550 relaying mail to () is not allowed

By sandiego.greg ·
I have Outlook 2002 and am have set up my ISP (Cox.net)email. I can see email from recipients, but when I try to send I recieve the "550 relaying mail to (recipient's name) is not allowed" I have provided login information and even tried checking the "log on to incoming server before sending mail" box. I can send mail to my own account (cox.net) and see it come through and can send and recieve test messages, but whenever I go to send to another recipient, I get this message. I have to go to Cox' Webmail client to send toanyone else. Please help.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to 550 relaying mail to () i ...

Mail Relaying will get you on blacklists. It is also possible you have a trojan that is sending mail from your computer without your knowledge.
To see if you are blocked check your mail at:
http://www.dnsreport.com/
or at:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/.

My money is on a virus, are you current? Have you run a full Scan lately?
if your virus scanner has gone South, download Stinger at:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
good Luck

Collapse -

by sandiego.greg In reply to 550 relaying mail to () i ...

Not sure what you mean concerning "Money" If you mean Microsoft Money, I have MS Money 2005. I have Norton and ran a full system scan with current difinitions, no virus found. I can send/receive email with the browser based webmail from Cox, just can't with Outlook. Can recieve, just not send. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -

Not sure what you mean concerning "Money" I have Norton and ran a full system scan with current difinitions, no virus found. I can send/receive email with the browser based webmail from Cox, just can't with Outlook. Can recieve, just not send. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -

by Server Queen In reply to 550 relaying mail to () i ...

That nearly always happens when your logon has been dropped mid-session. Try doing a check mail when that happens; my suspicion is that you won't be able to do that either. It sounds to me like Outlook isn't set up to stay logged on while it's open. There's a setting that permits you to retrieve your mail and then logs you off, and it sounds as if you have that set.

Collapse -

I am able to send and recieve test messages through Outlook just fine. This is another strange thing... I am able to send and recieve an email to my own address ******@cox.net but whenever I try to send to any other address, I get the relaying mail not allowed. This sucks.

Collapse -

ive got exactly the same problem

by x.q In reply to

Hi I hope your still there but i got exactly the same problem. did you find a solution
Xq

Collapse -

same problem

by richardtietz In reply to 550 relaying mail to () i ...

Yup - same thing here - Cox.net mail. Problem just started one day out of the blue. No reason. No one can or will help.
Even no solutions on the net anywhere - they all say I must have a different smtp server than the ISP server. But its all Cox. If you find out please post and I will do the same if I find out something. Thx.

Collapse -

re: 550 error while sending

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to 550 relaying mail to () i ...

Call your ISP and check your mail settings. The 550 relay message means you are connected to one ISP (dialed in, DSL connection, etc...) and using a different ISP's SMTP server to try and send mail. Your ISP is saying that it refuses to relay email THROUGH them in order to pretend that it's coming from another ISP.

Collapse -

by lysergags In reply to re: 550 error while sendi ...

Find a way to get the person's ip address, type it in http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup.lasso and if his/her ip is listed there, contact your ISP to have it unblocked. Usually you send an email to the security site of your ISP.