General discussion

7,500 Online Shoppers Unknowingly Sold Their Souls

By jfuller05 ·
Do you read your software EULA? I'm going to after reading this article.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/15/online-shoppers-unknowingly-sold-souls/?test=latestnews

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

WOW...

by cmiller5400 In reply to 7,500 Online Shoppers Unk ...
Collapse -

except no EULA has any legal validity for any parts not

by Deadly Ernest In reply to 7,500 Online Shoppers Unk ...

supported by the consumer laws of the country involved - there could be a legal argument as to which country's laws apply, the one for the server or the one the client is in as they take the action at their end. But that term has no legal support, so it's an irrelevant piece of rubbish - and many would have seen it that way, and most wouldn't bother with the garbage knowing the consumer laws will protect them to the exact extant of the laws regardless of what any stupid eula says.

Collapse -

I think you're giving people too much credit.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to except no EULA has any le ...

"...most wouldn't bother with the garbage knowing the consumer laws will protect them..."

I doubt most know local law overrides the EULA. I think the original theory holds: people don't read the EULA, they just click 'Accept' without a clue.

Collapse -

The devil may care...

by AnsuGisalas In reply to I think you're giving peo ...

Even if the laws of man should say otherwise, a believer might be less convinced that signing over their soul is as trivial as all that...

Collapse -

And...

by AnsuGisalas In reply to except no EULA has any le ...

Just where is it that the Consumer Protection Act (or similar) states that people cannot use their immortal souls for barter?

Collapse -

most don't recognise immortallity, thus nothing immortal

by Deadly Ernest In reply to And...

can exist or be sold. In some countries it's not legal to sell people or parts of people - that's why body parts are given away free in those countries, though the medical costs for transport and installation cost a huge fortune.

Collapse -

I don't think it's a whitelist.

by AnsuGisalas In reply to most don't recognise immo ...

Since commodities are invented all the times, governments tend to focus on blacklists. Anything not specifically or generally outlawed is fair game.
Generally outlawed would be things that can't be aqcuired without an otherwise regulated procedure, such as fatal surgery.
As I see it, this is not likely to be illegal in many places, unless the means of harvesting is.

Collapse -

What one recognizes

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to most don't recognise immo ...

doesn't determine existence. :0
Just as belief doesn't determine truth.

Wowsers. We've come a long way... Scary.

Collapse -

That was a great joke

by Fregeus In reply to 7,500 Online Shoppers Unk ...

Love it.

TCB

Collapse -

That's Hillarious and Sad at the Same Time

by NotSoChiGuy In reply to 7,500 Online Shoppers Unk ...

I'm going to have to go back and check to make sure I didn't sign away ownership rights of my home in any of the EULAs I've agreed to recently!!!

Back to Software Forum
17 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next