By kal_lmn ·
Hey, I'm pretty sure you all know me by now... always asking about the computer I am trying to build.

Well, I finally got all of the parts, and put it together, when I noticed the debug LED on the motherboard.

I ran the computer and got an error that read F6.

What does this mean? And would anyone care to post where I could find a list of the debug codes and what they mean?

I tried searching the EVGA website, but I must be blind, and in the motherboard manual, it just lists bios errors, and skips the F6 error comlpetely.

Many thanks in advance for helping me.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

And the Make & Model of the M'Board is?????

by OH Smeg In reply to 790i

We need the information to help you here and as this is a group of Volunteers who give their time & effort it helps to know these things.

I'm assuming here that you have a 2 Digit LED Display on the M'Board and it is reading F6 when the system is running. Well it may not actually be an error it may indicate that the M'Board is working correctly but without knowing the Make & Model of the M'Board it's impossible to say.

Collapse -

by kal_lmn In reply to And the Make & Model of t ...

Sorry, I thought the debug codes would be the same.

It is an EVGA 790i FTW (NOT the new one with digital PWN, and NOT the 790i ultra).

Model is 132-YW-E179-A1

Oh, and thanks for the fast reply.

Collapse -

Well what's happening here?

by OH Smeg In reply to Sorry

Do you get to the POST Screen?

I'm just waiting for the Spec Sheet to download I'll then post back

Collapse -

Well I can see nothing at all about this on EVGA Web Site

by OH Smeg In reply to Sorry

So start with the obvious remove all unnecessary components and reduce this to a CPU, 1 Stick of RAM and the Video Card.

So disconnect the HDD/s the Optical Dive/s and anything else as well as pulling any RAM above 1 Stick in Socket 1 and try applying power.

If nothing happens now either the RAM is the wrong stuff for the M'Board, The CPU is the wrong type or incorrectly fitted or you have a Chip Set Incompatibility between the M'Boards & Video Cards Chip Set.
The first two are fairly easy to check but the Chip Set Incompatibility is harder to work around as it requires the Video Card to be replaced.

Lets know what's actually happening here.

Collapse -

"Not on EVGA..." and Blind too...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to 790i

Assuming, that is, that I've GUESSED CORRECTLY as to which motherboard you've got!

Collapse -

I re-seated my memory.

by Jacky Howe In reply to 790i
<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TR Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome.

Collapse -

Thanks very much

by kal_lmn In reply to I re-seated my memory.

Thats two in a row now that suggest it is the memory, I will try reseating it, and if all else fails, try a new set. Oh, and I also marked both of you as helpful, along with Oh Smeg, as I am sure he will say the same thing and he was very speeedy to help me.

Once again, thanks, I'll try to fix the problem, and return in a couple of days (after ordering new RAM) if the problem persists.

Collapse -

Keep us posted <nt>

by Jacky Howe In reply to Thanks very much
Collapse -

^^ Ditto ^^ :) <NT>

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Thanks very much
Collapse -

How many RAM sticks have you got fitted here

by OH Smeg In reply to Thanks very much

Some of these M'Boards do not like to use 4 Sticks of RAM unless it is one of the Accepted Ram Types and even then they can be a bit dodgy with Manufacturing Batches.

If you have more than 2 Sticks fitted reduce it down to 1 Stick to see if it will post.

Once you have it POSTing power down and insert the second stick and power up again and enter BIOS and make sure that it's reading all of the installed RAM. As this M'Board has Dual Chanel RAM you need to read the M'Board Manual and install the second stick in the proper Bank for the M'Board to work properly. If it works with the RAM in the wrong sockets for Dual Chanel Mode it will be running at 50% of it's possible FSB.

Back to Web Development Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)