General discussion

802.11a is the answer for faster WLAN

By debate ·
What are your views about the suitability of 802.11a for your organization's wireless networking needs? Do you think that 802.11a's significant speed and capacity enhancements make it a viable choice for enterprises with larger networks, as discussed in this week's Wireless e-newsletter?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

802.11a is the answer

by tle In reply to 802.11a is the answer for ...

Although still in its infancy, 802.11a has proven to be a key player for faster access and less crowded 5-GHZ frequency band for a large enterprise, so why would anyone want the future 802.11g that will operate in an crowded 2.4GHZ region? I would recommend a thorough test of the product from different vendor before jumping to conclusion since not all 802.11a are created equal.

Collapse -

hype as usual

by burgerbaron In reply to 802.11a is the answer

These products operate at much lower levels in the real world.Until these companies figure out you cannot keep lying to customers as to performance they will recieve exactly the buisness the product deserves.The days of selling the razor then the blades is long gone as is the business model of the nineties.Real entrepenuers will dictate this new paradigm and cusomters will no longer be held hostage to the expense of upgrading and maintenence.We are looking to deploy these products but we will do it on our terms for our customers.Proxim etc wich we hav checked out,just will not be our cup of tea,much ado about nothing,

Collapse -

Hype: Yes and no

by Solarian In reply to hype as usual

Is it hype? To a certain degree yes. But is it not like when your checking a new car and your given the estimated gaz millage? (Which by the way is calculated under the best laboratory conditions.)

Collapse -

Advantage

by Solarian In reply to 802.11a is the answer for ...

I cannot agree that the cost limits the suitability to the larger networks. The fact of lower interference because of the 5Ghz makes it ideal for a SOHO situation.

Collapse -

Change of Frequency

by ArthurP In reply to 802.11a is the answer for ...

With the varying protocols, (IEEE 802.11, 11a, 11b & 15), being enforced or introduced, and the migration of Wireless from 4.2Ghz to 5.2Ghz within the next 18months; I do not believe that a wireless system is cost viable at this time.

Personally,I view the expenditure upon a current 802.11x based system, only to find that I need to upgrade the relevant firmware with 18 months unacceptable.

Arthur

Collapse -

Cost viability - Not justified

by ArthurP In reply to 802.11a is the answer for ...

With the varying protocols, (IEEE 802.11, 11a, 11b & 15), being enforced or introduced, and the migration of Wireless from 4.2Ghz to 5.2Ghz within the next 18months; I do not believe that a wireless system is cost viable at this time.

Personally,I view the expenditure upon a current 802.11x based system, only to find that I need to upgrade the relevant firmware with 18 months unacceptable.

Arthur

Back to Desktop Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)