General discussion

98SE in Novell4.11 will not shutdown

By wtdrisco ·
We have several Windows98SE PCs. We are using Novell Intranetware 4.1.1 and the client version is 3.21. The problem we are having is that most of the computers that are running all day will not completly shutdown. It stops at the Windows is Shuting Down screen, the network card is still flashing. After hitting the reset, and the computer is shutdown again, there is no problem. We have tried to load the Windows 98SE Shutdown fix, but it does not help. Could this be an issue with the Novell Client? The network card communication light will flicker like traffic is going through.... Any ideas would be great!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gnet158 In reply to 98SE in Novell4.11 will n ...

Did you always have this problem? I would first start the the NIC drivers, then Novell has a newer client (I would load that), and find out if any new programs have been installed on these workstations. And lastly I would upgrade them to Windows 2000 (workstations only.

Collapse -

by wtdrisco In reply to 98SE in Novell4.11 will n ...

Want to keep open for more answers and get further insight.

This is mainly happening on the LAPTOPS. These are brand new laptops. When they are NOT on the network, this will not happen. But ONLY if the laptop has been on ALL day will it have an issue shutting down.

Collapse -

This has been happening ALL time. Mainly on laptops.

Collapse -

by oscar.packeer In reply to 98SE in Novell4.11 will n ...

This may not resolve your problem but I just wanted tell you that you are not alone!! After about 6-8 months of enduring the same scenario & even after applying the Compaq & Microsoft fixes for this problem I finally gave up & re-installed win '95. Works fine now!!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by rickster34 In reply to 98SE in Novell4.11 will n ...

I have a network of 200 + PC's with windows 98 Each and every one of them WILL not shut down unless i use them off the network. One characteristic I noticed was they all had the newest Novell client and Notron Anti virus. I did a little experiment on my own by loading the Microsoft Novell client and Norton and never had a problem. After I put Novell on it started to lock up Uninstalling and clearing to registry didnt fix it I had to reinstall. There is no known fixs and if there are any they only work once and a while. If you find something please share it.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by kirchbee In reply to 98SE in Novell4.11 will n ...

The problem does not lie with Novell but rather with Microsoft. Since the first release of Win98 SE Microsoft has been plagued by shutdown issues. Check the MS Technet site for details as well as a downloadable patch that will allow the windows system files to release when the kill command is sent by the OS. You can verify that the machines actually disconnect from the LAN correctly by the watching the activity lights on the NIC when it hangs up.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by mrm In reply to 98SE in Novell4.11 will n ...

I downloaded the bios update and the windows shutdown update for" many map drives", disabled the autocheck for windows updates and my shut down problems went away. I did notice if a CD is left in the drive this may cause it not to shut down.

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next