General discussion

9s to show 2000+ files

By serginho ·
Hi,

Our network server is a Server 2003 Std, AD, DNS, DHCP, 10/100 switching. This is the same PC we were running Win2k Server a few months ago, same network hardware as well. All stations I'm going to mention also existed before the switch to 2k3.

We have a folder with 2000+ files, barely 250MB. All stations were able to open this folder and quickly see its contents (below 3s).

Now, after the switch, XP stations take 9s+ to open the same folder, while 2k and 9x stations still do it in less than 3s.

I've tried everything I could think of: caching, indexing, offline files, web client. Both enabling/disabling in several configs, no change

Does anybody have the slightest idea what I could be missing.

Thanks everybody

Serginho

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by zaferus In reply to 9s to show 2000+ files

1. Take a capture of traffic by mirroring the port by the xp box, than the 9x/2k. See if there is anything in the traffic happening that could propogate this delay.
2. Take one XP station and remove and rejoin the domain. Does it change it's time to browse this folder?
3. Try building an XP machine from scratch. With no applications on it, join the domain and try to browse.

Let us know the results of your testing!

Collapse -

by serginho In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by jc2it In reply to 9s to show 2000+ files

I have had this problem also.

You need to turn on indexing for this folder at each client. There is an interface for this, and as far as I know it is poorly documented by Microsoft. Using Start --> Help --> Search "Indexing" on the client it will bring up the Indexing Services link. It opens an MMC. Under the Action menu choose "ADD" and add the network drive pointing to the server.

If you are not using XP clients then try this on the 2003 server for this directory and see if this helps.

Good Luck

Collapse -

by serginho In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by serginho In reply to 9s to show 2000+ files

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)