General discussion

A strange Outlook 2002 problem

By jrhr ·
Outlook 2002 deletes text from sent emails with attachment. The reciever gets the mail with attachments but no text in the mail.
It only does it sometimes - But it seems to do it only when the atttachment is a .pdf file.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to A strange Outlook 2002 pr ...

could this be it?
OL2002: Attachments in a RTF Message Are Received As Winmail.dat Attachments
(Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q278061)
says there is a bug if using Rich Text Format as mail format. some messages with attachments get sent as winmail.dat files (winmail.dat contains the rtf formatting info and can also contain the original message!) which, if the receiving client does not recognise, can not be opened. might fit your symptoms. offered workaround is to use Plain Text formatting. sheesh. hope this helps...

Collapse -

by jrhr In reply to A strange Outlook 2002 pr ...

Sorry; I did forget to tell you that the emails were in html format - I have tried to change the default format to rtf, and I havent been able to reproduce the error. But on the other hand; I didnt even succede in reproducing the error in html format. - It seems random when it occurs, but im the support guy, and the problem could also be a 40cm error.

Collapse -

by smoothe In reply to A strange Outlook 2002 pr ...

Microsoft Products (outlook and exchange) VERY rarely delete anything even from a message unless configured to do so or a third party is involved? Any Antivirus? Content Scanners? Firewalls? that could be in the way when a message comes in via acertain route? (hence the randomness)

Collapse -

by jrhr In reply to A strange Outlook 2002 pr ...

The funny thing is that the text also is removed from the email in the sent items folder. - So it must be Outlook, exchange or McAfee antivirus that removes it. - But on the other hand; there is no logic in removing the text, and let the attachmentsuntouched, so im unlike to think it is the antivirus software which does it.
I have another problem with Outlook on another client, and somebody have suggested me to try to run a repair if outlook.. - Do you know what happens when you run a repair in Outlook !? - And do you think it might be a solution ?

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)