General discussion

About CanoScan N1220U

By BreedenHamer ·
Attacked. Registry wiped. I then wiped disk and reinstalled XP and Office 2000. Recovered my data from a second hard disk.

Now trying to reinstall scanner, N1220U. No PnP. Scanner had worked flawlessly for nearly 3 years. Trying to reinstall using scanner software, and a message, "Cannot find driver" appears, then aborts installation.

In my Windows directory is both a twain.dll and a twain_32.dll, perhaps they need to be in an exclusive directory??? There are other strange drivers also in my files; thuwk (sp?), etc. Since PnP does not work for this or my Wacom tablet, I am at a loss how to proceed.

I think there is a possibility the problem may be related to the fact the scanner is powered on with Canon software via a USB cable. Perhaps this is why PnP doesn't work.

If Canon has a support system, I can not find it.

After a lot of attempts, somehow I was able to install my HP printer, but XP was not eager to cooperate for this.

Will appreciate any suggestions on installing the scanner.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to About CanoScan N1220U

Even though USB is supposed to be plug and play, for MOST USB devices you MUST install the driver before connecting the device.

Depending on the version of XP, you should run Windows update and install critical and driver updates (at least install SP1) before attempting to install devices.
This is critical if your PC has USB 2.0

You may need to run the uninstall for the scanner and printer.

Re-boot,

Then install the drivers again before connecting either device to your USB port.

Chas

Collapse -

by BreedenHamer In reply to

I am sure the answer is worthy, but it is a little vague for me.

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to About CanoScan N1220U

Go to the Canon web site and locate the twain driver32 for the N1220U,download in directory whare you can loacate it.

Now do a fresh install of the scanner,load the twain driver first,before installing the software,you can use the read me for install help

Collapse -

This what was done without the installation program recognizing the driver.

When I signed on to this site, help was offered for a fee. Can't find a way back to this help.

Collapse -

Got your message, saw your new question.

As to paid technical support, the only thing I can think of is that you might have seen an article on tech support options.

I will give further details on my original answer.

(Even though USB is supposed to be plug and play, for MOST USB devices you MUST install the driver before connecting the device.)

You are supposed to be able to just plug a USB device into your PC and it works properly.
The problem is that most USB devices require that you install their software BEFORE the first time you plug the device into your computer.

(Depending on the version of XP, you should run Windows update and install critical and driver updates (at least install SP1) before attempting to install devices.
This is critical if your PC has USB 2.0)

Not knowing which version of XP you have, I included this advice to help you get past bugs that were present in the original XP release.

Right click on My Computer, select properties.
On the General tab, System heading, you will see what version of XP you have, and if Service Pack 1 is installed.

If Service Pack 1 is not listed, I recommend that you connect to Windows Update and install Service Pack 1 and any additional "critical" updates.

If your PC has USB 2.0 ports, you MUST install Service Pack 1 before your USB devices will function.

(You may need to run the uninstall for the scanner and printer.)

Go to add/remove programs in Control Panel.
Find the software for the scanner and select remove.

Un-plug the scanner.

Re-boot your PC.

It "might" be necessary to un-install both your scanner and printer in order to correct the problem.

(Then install the drivers again before connecting either device to your USB port.)

continued

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to

Install the software for the Cannon Scanner. DO NOT connect the scanner before told to do so by the software, or until the installation is complete and you have restarted the computer.

If this is not enough, reject my answer again and we'll see if I can make things clearer yet.

I know that there are a number of web sites that offer paid tech support. I cannot recommend any specific site as I have not used them.

Chas

Collapse -

Thanks for the instructions. I appreciate your effort a lot. Sadly, I followed the instructions verbatim without getting connected. This is a strange affair.

To add to the misery of having to start over, my mail carrier has been down for two days. That is why I didnot respond sooner.

I copied the N1220U driver off Scanner-Driver.com. It was dated September 2003.

Collapse -

It is possible that you have the wrong driver for your scanner.

From the US section of Canon's web site, the details on the driver are:

Scanner Driver ScanCraft CSU v5.7.1a for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
Posted: June 10, 2002
File Size: 8.1 MB

I always recommend downloading drivers from the manufacture if they are available.

Here is the address for Canon's N1220U download page.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=DownloadDetailAct&fcategoryid=351&modelid=8007#New%20Window

Chas

Collapse -

I still have the problem only half solved. The scanner only works once, then acts as if it is dumb. When the computer is restarted, it will again work once. I am going to have to calm down and actully read some of the related material.

I really appreciate the link to the Canon site. It is amazing to me that there are no 1,2,3 instructions. One just has to muddle around until something seems to help.

You have been very kind with your time and I thank you sincerely. Best, Breeden Hamer BreedenHamer@countrynet.net

Collapse -

by BreedenHamer In reply to About CanoScan N1220U

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)