General discussion

about uninstalling norton antivirus 2003

By blasted_722 ·
hi! i've got a problem. i have a norton antivirus 2003 installed in my pc. then i installed a McAfee 7 antivirus. however, the virus definitions of the Mcafee were based on norton. according to someone i talked to i should first uninstall the norton for the new mcafee virus definitions to take place. unfortunately, i can't seem to uninstall it. it says there was an error in finding the path c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop. help! i really don't know what to do. is there any other way to uninstall it?
help!
mine is windows xp pro.

thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by LMon In reply to about uninstalling norton ...

First go to start and run type msconfig then go to services tab. Uncheck anything by symantec or norton's. Then go to the start up tab and do the same thing. Hit the apply and restart button.

Once the computer restarted then try to go add\remove programs and uninstall everything from Norton.

Collapse -

by JimKlallsoo In reply to about uninstalling norton ...

If you have McCafee running and it's working i wouldn't worry as long as the new Mccafee is running ok. Your system should still be protected.

However, as a resolution i would concur with the answer from LMon.
I have seen Norton behave strangely like this before on many occasions using Unistall and also when the user does not uninstall properly but manually deletes...Norton Uninstall has always Sucked though..IMHO.

Long way for a shortcut but if you still have the Norton disk you installed from you could:
1- Uninstall McCafee
2 - Re-install Norton
3 - Remove Norton via either the add remove programs or the Norton Uninstall utility
4 - Re-install McCafee

HTH

Collapse -

by compufixit.net In reply to about uninstalling norton ...

Don't let the 2 anti viruses run together. Go to www.symantec.com and get their utility to remove norton anti virus called RNAV. it removes *ALL* traces of Norton, even registry entries.

I would recommend staying with Norton, tho...

Collapse -

by leighoneills In reply to about uninstalling norton ...

Just a little hint. you should never run two anti virus programs at the same time. If you plan to change, disconnect from the net, unistall the old one, then install the new one and re connect to the net and update your virus definitions.
Two virus scanners will pick up each others virus definitions and will cause all sorts of problems.

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)