General discussion

About windows2000 LAN configuration

By license2kll007 ·
I have a couple units of PC with win2k os. I,m planning to network these PC's (for Local area network only). and i hve all the peripherals that are needed such as utp cat5 cable,NIC's, and HUB.
how can i configure this. in order to work it properlyin LAN
Can you give me a step by step process on how to configure it?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Meganetcomputers In reply to About windows2000 LAN con ...

Here is a basic explanation show how to set up a simple peer-to-peer network:

http://www.hildrum.com/network2.html

If you have any questions please e-mail me.

Collapse -

by license2kll007 In reply to About windows2000 LAN con ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by ins413 In reply to About windows2000 LAN con ...

I think the first major piece of planning would go into deciding what type of model you are going to use, Domain or Workgroup. One major factor that you should take into consideration is security. If security is what you are going for then go withthe Domain model. If security is not a big factor and ease of setup is, then go with Workgroup. Next would be coming up with what protocols you will need for the network. TCP/IP would be the first obviuos selection, and maybe Netbeui if the network does not need to be routed. These are, to me anyways, the first logical steps in preparing a network. Next would probably be the roles you want your PC's to play on the network. The only real planning involved with this would be if you elected to go with a domain model, in which case you would have a server (domain controller) and clients connecting to the server. In a workgroup environment this would not matter as all PC's are equal (meaning all PC's are potentially servers and clients nomatter what the OS they may be running). A domain model would be a little more time-consuming to setup, but less administration on your part. As where a workgroup model would be easier to setup, but more administration on your part. You gotta give a little to take a little. I hope that this can at least get you started or pointed in the right direction. If you supply some more specifics as to where you are setting this up and what you would like the end result to be, I'm sure you will get alot more specific info. You can email me if you wish.
Good Luck.

Norm

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)