General discussion

Access 2.0 in Win98/Office2000 Environ

By hemmind ·
Would a custom software package designed in Access 2.0 be compatible with Office 2000 running on Windows 98? We want to use and work with some of the data from the Access 2.0 package in the Office 2000 programs including Access 2000. I will need references for documentation. The Microsoft Knowledge Base didn't help me or else I didn't look in the right place.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Glen_McLeod In reply to Access 2.0 in Win98/Offic ...

If all you need is access to the data in 2.0, you can link the tables into a 2000 mdb and use that as your data source for Office 2000. Access 2000 can read previous versions with no problems at all.

If it's a secured database, you may need to set up a DSN connection for it first, specifying the user name and/or password, then use the DSN to link the tables. this will defeat the purpose of having a secured database, though.

Glen

Collapse -

by hemmind In reply to Access 2.0 in Win98/Offic ...

I have not been able to make this work. Thanks, though.

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Access 2.0 in Win98/Offic ...

I had real troubles attempting to use (open, import and/or link) Access 2.0 .mdb files in an Office 2000 environment. Never did, and never got an answer to my questions in the TechRepublic Q&A forum.

There were so many changes between 2.0 and 95, and then again between 95 and 97 I know Microsoft can't make the jump without first converting 2.0 to 95 (and MANUALLY fixing some conversion problems) and then converting 95 to 97 which seems to run smoothly?

I wanted to use some of my (2.0) code but haven't taken the time to reload 95 and do my 1st (NECESSARY) conversion and manual fix to the converted code yet.

It can be done but it's a pain and takes many steps to the best of my knowledge. Sorry for the "bummer" answer to but I suspect you already ran into problems prompting your initial question?

Collapse -

Thanks! This is what I have been experiencing and hearing it from someone else who has tried the same things reinforces the MANUAL ONLY solution of some conversion problems. Yes, it's a bummer of an answer, but one I expected and just needed it reinforced.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)