General discussion

Access 2000 Database

By Shanghai Sam ·
What is the maximum number of concurrent users a MS Access 2000 database can have?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Access 2000 Database

by dbarker In reply to Access 2000 Database

The number of users of a database depends on a lot of variables. In this case the answer is "it depends".

A multi-user database has to have some control over the users to "lock" a user from changing the item that being edited by another. Theselocks can be as extensive as locking the entire file for "exclusive" (single user) down to record or field level.

Access keeps track of locks in the .idb file and as far as I know there is no limit as to how big the file can grow (excepting any constraints in file size set up on your system.) It stands to reason that the larger the database the more concurrent users will be able to use it without running into the locks of other users. If you have record locking and only two records, then you will have a maximum of 2 concurrent users, etc.

How you access the tables and the size of the tables will determine system resource limitations. The more data you have to pass between the database and the user's computer will slow down the system, so it doesn't matter what the database will allow. Your system may bog down long before you reach the max allowed.

To maximize users you need to design your tables and client to pass the smallest amount of data possible. Control your overhead with the least amount of indexes and relationships possible. Use temp tables.

Locking is a balance of providing security of the edits and accessability of the users. Lock at the level that provides for the best mix for your situation.

Think thin.

Collapse -

Access 2000 Database

by dbarker In reply to Access 2000 Database

After being verbose and throwing out a lot of theory I went to the Microsoft support area and found out the the Jet 4 database engine limits the number of users to 255.

Collapse -

Access 2000 Database

by Cedric King In reply to Access 2000 Database

I believe 256 is the maximum number allowed.

Back to Web Development Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)