General discussion

Access 2000 ODBC Problem

By ejensen ·
Under MS Access 97 Pro, I was able to define a linked table to an IBM AS/400 database without incident. I installed MS Office 2000 Developer, an some but not all AS/400 database will return a Jet error "Invalid scale for decimal data type" when I attempt to define the link. I have updated all of my Microsoft and IBM software. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Access 2000 ODBC Problem

by Glen_McLeod In reply to Access 2000 ODBC Problem

Sounds like you'll have to change some of your numeric fields to the new Decimal datatype. Access97 probably did an inplicit conversion to the closest datatype available and kept going (the old Evil Type Conversion problem, thankfully it's disapearing in the next version of VB!).

The Decimal datatype can be defined up to 28,28 (precision, scale) and is a lot more precise than other types.

Glen

Collapse -

Access 2000 ODBC Problem

by ejensen In reply to Access 2000 ODBC Problem

Changing the other system's database to conform to Microsoft's current --- dream is not an acceptable solution. I thank you for the information because it confirms that which I thought.

Collapse -

Access 2000 ODBC Problem

by Glen_McLeod In reply to Access 2000 ODBC Problem

I meant to change your Access fields to Decimal, which should be a relatively painless procedure. The error you mention is 'invalid scale', so your Access files currently don't have enough scale to accept the data comming from the AS/400. Access97just truncated the data to fit, but Access 2000 won't fo that for you, which, in the long run, I think is a good thing.

Glen

Collapse -

Access 2000 ODBC Problem

The database definitions are under anither machine (AS/400) and are being downloaded to Access via SQL (which evidently isn't very "standard").

Collapse -

Access 2000 ODBC Problem

by highlander718 In reply to Access 2000 ODBC Problem

It has nothing to do with Access2000. I got this message in Access97 as well sometimes. Did you redefined/reinstalled your ODBC after installing MS2K ? Or you just redefined the links in Access ? Are you using Client Access ODBC or Rally ODBC or something else ?

Collapse -

Access 2000 ODBC Problem

(1)Redefine/reinstall--no, (2)Client Access ODBC. I just ordered a new Cumm PTF from IBM. After researching on IBM Web sight, I found a number of PTF's that seem to be similar problems but not an exact match. Thanks, I will attempt to remove and re-add the ODBC connections.

Collapse -

Access 2000 ODBC Problem

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)