General discussion

Access 2000 Performance in a Novell Net

By jshenry ·
I have recently installed an MDB on my Novell server with tables linked to an MDE application on the client machines. The clients are extremly slow when opening forms. For example, the main form with > 40 bound controls retrieves about 2000 records and takes 27 seconds to open. This is in contrast to C: drive performance of about 3 seconds. We are considering going to an NT server, or maybe a SQL Server for the back-end. Any advise?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BrianHarris In reply to Access 2000 Performance i ...

Access and Novell have never worked well together. We had performance problems several years ago with Access 2.0 and Novell 3.x. We set all the relevent properties on the Novell box, like MaxLock and MaxFiles and could never get it to work right.Before you move to NT you might look at replicating the database and data to the clients so that they are actually loading from the local drive. A lot of maintenance issues but probably cheaper initially than a new NT box.

Collapse -

by jshenry In reply to Access 2000 Performance i ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Access 2000 Performance i ...

Unlike Brian I have experienced little difficulty using an Access back-end with an Access front end over a Novell network.

40 columns of 2k records isn't much unless many are bitmaps, etc. which always take time to move. Are you sure the queriesand tables are on the back-end, and Forms are within your .mde file? Is there adequate RAM on the slow machine? If your stuff is pure text there is a problem SQL Server may not fix??? Is everything normalized and are your tables multi-query?

Iassume the 3 second shot came when everything was within a single .mdb file on the suspect machines hard drive?

Novell really shouldn't slow stuff down that much - but of course everything is forced through two unnecessary data type changes (or reads) when using Novell on windows machines? @ little information to tell 4 sure from this end with what's provided - sorry.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)