General discussion

Access 2000 user level security

By AJD ·
I have developed an Access 2000 database that requires user level security to restrict access to forms, tables, queries, etc, based on a log in.
This database is then to be distributed to multiple offices around the world, where it will be used as a local Access database in each location.
Can I implement the security here in the head office and then simply copy the database to a CD-ROM and send it out, or is there more to it than that?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Access 2000 user level se ...

Regretfully there is a little bit of both unless of course you have everyones User ID and Office ID.

Both Windows (the operating system) and Access (the application) must recognize the User ID's and Windows will pass it along as a cookie when a logged on user starts Access.

User IDs are loaded under "Tools | Security | User and Group Accounts" (or the "User-Level Security Wizard"). You could certainly load every database object and your own user ID in and check the security system out,but unless you have everyones User ID it will be impossible for you to assign User and Group permissions. Oh yes - you may also be able to pre-define company recognized "groups" locally and distribute that. In any event you will need to pass security system management instructions along for when employees leave and/or get canned. I found user level security a bit tricky but after a little learning time it was fine. I also created some queries (to share unsecured fields only) that build snapshot reports anyone could read - including guests. Your task is not easy and there is MUCH detail involved for many users!!! Good Luck - Don Quigg

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Access 2000 user level se ...

Remember to create a UNIQUE .mdw file to define anything in - and send it along with the owners name and passyord so local admins can access and change things. Securtiy belongs to workgroups, not dataabases.

Collapse -

by AJD In reply to Access 2000 user level se ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by rob In reply to Access 2000 user level se ...

You can do this, I am new to access and had the same problem.

You could use the package and deployment wizard if you have it installed on your machine this will create a setup program for your users.

include you security *.mdw with this

when the package and deployment wizard prompts you for propities of the start menu program menubar shortcut. type this for example

c:\hello.mdb /wrkgrp "c:\hello.mdw"

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Web Development Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)