General discussion

Access 2002

By minddoctor_me ·
Can you tell me how to get Access to alert you to remind you to update a database? If not can you tell me where I can look?

Thanks so much!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Access 2002

by mailcheck12000 In reply to Access 2002

I have taken 4 access related courses and have not heard of this function. If you use Outlook for your e-mail, you could set up a task reminder for this. I use this tool of Outlook to remind me of numerous tasks since my Outlook is always open.
Hope this helps,
mailcheck

Collapse -

Access 2002

by minddoctor_me In reply to Access 2002

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Access 2002

by timfox In reply to Access 2002

As with the previous response, the phrase "to alert you to remind you to update a database" is a little confusing...

Are you talking about a reminder to commit a change to the database?
(Access DBs are setup in a variety of ways, but most will commit data to it's underlying tables when you either close a form or move to another record.)
or
a task reminder system that will let a user know that they are supposed to update a database record?
or
something else?

Collapse -

Access 2002

Collapse -

Access 2002

by Bob Sellman In reply to Access 2002

While I'm not sure what you mean by "update a database", I'll assume you're referring to a problem I had to solve a while ago, where the application (front end) Access database was located on users' computers and I wanted them to download a newer version if one was available from the server.

My solution was to add a table to the back end database (i.e., where the tables and data are located) and a similar table ("LocalVersion") to the front end. The table, called "Version" in the back end database, contained two columns: Version (text column) and LastUpdate (date column).

When you are ready to publish a new version of the front end (application), change the values in both tables LocalVersion to identify the new version and date of the new version. (ex: 2.11, 1/21/03).

When it is opened your application needs to run code that compares the values in LocalVersion and Version. If they do not match, then you can do whatever you decide is appropriate, such as just displaying a mesage to update soon, or refusing to run the application until it is updated.

Collapse -

Access 2002

Collapse -

Access 2002

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Web Development Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)