General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Access 2002 Problem

by makita ·

I am getting confused with a database that I have started working on. I have 4 tables; Customer (PK Customer_ID, 1:M with System Table), Service (PK Service_ID, M:1 with System), Inspection (PK Inspection_ID, M:1 with System) and System (PK System_ID) The system table contains System_ID, Customer_ID, Service_ID and Inspection ID. I want to pick a customer number from a combo box and then proceed with the data entry in another form. I type the information pertaining to the tables but the ID numbers does not get saved in the System table. I can ,however, receive existing data in a report or query. How or can I fix this problem? If I can not fix the problem how can I approach the table design?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Access 2002 Problem

by haris ·

In reply to Access 2002 Problem

hi,

there are two ways you can do
      this:

1. create a form based on
      Customer table and on this form place a combo box to show list of customers. Now
      create a sub-form in this form and the access wizard will guide you to enter
      values on the sub form based on the customer selected in the combo box.

2. On a form read the customer
      in the combo box. Now place a Command Button on the form and when access wizard
      appears, select open a new form based on the values selected on this form. The
      wizard will ask you to select the corresponding values. Select Customer ID for
      both forms. When you open the next form to enter data it will store the customer
      Id red from the last form.

Regards,

Haris

by haris ·

hi,
      there are two ways you can do this:
      1. create a form based on Customer table and on this form place a combo box to show list of customers. Now create a sub-form in this form and the access wizard will guide you to enter values on the sub form based on the customer selected in the combo box.
      2. On a form read the customer in the combo box. Now place a Command Button on the form and when access wizard appears, select open a new form based on the values selected on this form. The wizard will ask you to select the corresponding values. Select Customer ID for both forms. When you open the next form to enter data it will store the customer Id red from the last form.
      Regards,

by sgt_shultz ·

also check out templates for service database and others. they have examples

by makita ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads