General discussion

Access 97 or 2000 Security at the Record

By aheller ·
Initiate security at the record level. I would like to assign only a group of records to each User. Each record contains a Department Number. Only certain Users or groups of Users can access all or some of the departments throughout the entire application based on their Login Name. I expect to add code to all queries that will pass through a function that checks the table for the appropriate departments to filter. Is there an easier way? Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mark.tassin In reply to Access 97 or 2000 Securit ...

Create a series of tables... something like...
Records-groups,groups-users

in records-groups each record has info to identify a unique record in your datatable, and a group assigned rights to it.

groups-users has a username and a groupnameThen do a tripel join... Datatable->records-groups->groups-users where the username in groups-users is equal to the username entered on login. Only allow updates through that view.

Collapse -

by aheller In reply to Access 97 or 2000 Securit ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Access 97 or 2000 Securit ...

I use an extremely similar system joining User IDs (or Log In IDs) to company Departments. I also build (copy) mutiple queries to produce the same recordset for the individual departments. Departmeent members authorized to Read/Write everything can then access ONLY data owned by their Department, and a copy of those queries with sensitive fields removed can then be accessed by any Users. BUILD, NANE, and SAVE individual Field and Record level queries as required to provide whatever you need for whatever level user! That way the Department Manager that owns and maintains the data can control access to his/her stuff without bugging the IT folks every time he/she needs something!

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Web Development Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)