General discussion

Access 97 vs Access 2000

By G. Basson ·
I've heard from a couple of sources that Access 97 performs better than Access 2000 and is more stable. This is especially the case when you're data resides on the server in one database and you use linked tables in another database to create forms,queries, reports, etc. which is distributed to the client's PC. I have read e-mail from an Internet news site where it is stated that many clients are converting from Access 2000 back to Access 97, for various reasons. Before I do a major conversion to Access 2000, I would like to read your opinion.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Access 97 vs Access 2000

by meares In reply to Access 97 vs Access 2000

I'm doing the same thing here. I've found that if you run a 97 data base on 2000 that you can't make any changes to the structure of tables, forms, etc... And though you can link tables from a 97 mdb to a 2000 mdb you can't go the otherway. We have two buildings one site running Office 2000 and the other runs Office 97. I work at the 97 building and have to build my access databases in 97. But other than the inconvience of having to convert the database everytime, or exporting new tables from 97 to the already exisiting database of 2000; it seems to work great. Good luck..

Collapse -

Access 97 vs Access 2000

by G. Basson In reply to Access 97 vs Access 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Access 97 vs Access 2000

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

Access 97 vs Access 2000

by parier In reply to Access 97 vs Access 2000

We first convert all 300 before noticing that most users were happier with 97 until we kept them from converting the databases to 2000. By not converting them to 2000, we can open them up with 2000 and 97 at the same time (shared). Some cases we needed people to still use 97 (licensing). Since then, we are slowly going all the way 2000, but unless Microsoft dramatically changes how Office XP is registered, I plan on having 2000 for a long, long time.

Also, to add, we have multiple databases that are shared throughout the company, users range from 97 to 2000 all over and we have no additional issues than normal - most users who are power Access users like it better (as well as myself)

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Access 97 vs Access 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Access 97 vs Access 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)