General discussion

Access 97 & Win2000 - CPU pegged at 100%

By dfloyd ·
I am running Win2000 and when I open Access 97 the CPU jumps to 100%. The msaccess.exe process takes all available CPU time for some reason. It happens on Win2000 Server and Pro. I open the Task Manager and sort by CPU so I can monitor the msaccess.exe process. When I then open Access the process pegs the processor. If I open a menu box like Tools or File Open, the process reverts back to using very little CPU. When I close the menu/dialog box, the process jumps back to the top.
I haveinstalled Win2000 SP1, Office 97 SP1&2, and ran the Win2000 Compatibility script which is supposed to fix issues with Access97.
I have tried changing settings in Tools/Option but to no avail. I would appreciate any help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Access 97 & Win2000 - CPU ...

This will depend on the amount of memory the system has,both are memory hogs and paging is being accessed when you open the application,you can try disabling virtual memory to disable paging,or reduce vm page memory size.Then to you may have to consider updating the bios and upgrading memory

Collapse -

by dfloyd In reply to Access 97 & Win2000 - CPU ...

It's not a memory issue. Something inside of Access.

Collapse -

by andreww In reply to Access 97 & Win2000 - CPU ...

AFAIK, You have discovered a 'feature' of Access97. It does the same thing in NT4, and in Windows95, just harder to find in 95.

It is not a problem. try opening up two Access sessions, and they both work happily.

There are some other large programs which do this as well, but Access is a bit of a chunky program, and a hog, and just assumes it wants to rule the world and use all your CPU.

You will also find it is quite ready to give CPU cycles back quickly, and does not cause you any greif.

However, if you really don't want it happeingin, Access2000 doesn't do it. ;-)

But who wants to give MS more money if you are happy on O97!

Hope that helps, get back to me if you need more info.

Collapse -

I ended up going with Access 2000 and it took care of the problem. Nice fix at $100 a license. Not!!!
I found that Access didn't always give up the CPU so kindly so that is why I had to find an answer. I was running it on Terminal Server so the performance was affecting lots of users.

Thanks.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)