General discussion

Access emails from exchange sever 2000

By cliveoates ·
Our ms exchange 2000 server here runs on a Windows 2000 DNS server (small business server 2000). My boss has a laptop which has Win XP Pro and uses outlook 2003 which was configured fairley easily to send/receive emails across our LAN via the exchange server. This, he has no problem.

Now, he also has another laptop at home that has Win XP Home and outlook 2003. He wants to be able to access his emails from our exchange server while at home. I have created a dial-up account, and then a vpn connection that connected well for the first few minutes, but it took ages for it to download emails. After I few minutes when i close and open outlook i cannot access his mailbox again. I get this msg when i click on his mailbox: " The specified default store could not be opened. Make sure you access your default store and try again."
1. How do i rectify that problem? Is it because his home laptop is Win XP home edition which does not have domain capabilities?
2. After that is resloved, how can i configure it so that it does not take ages to synchronize or download his emails from the exchange server?

Pls, I need help as soon as possible. Been taking so long to rectify this issue.

Cheers....Clive

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by VinnyD In reply to Access emails from exchan ...

If you have configured outlook just to connect to the exchange server it will never work quickly over a dailup!

if your boss had a high speed connection at home it would be usable.

at home outlook will have to be configured for offline access (so it has a copy of everything in the exchange mail box so it does not have to transfer all the items each time he connects).

The 1st time it will take forever to sync the mail box. (it would be much faster if he brings the notebook into the office for the 1st sync).

Once the 1st sync has been done, outlook will only have to sync the new or changed items.

So the number of changes that take place between sync'ing will determine how fast it can go.

Have your boss look at using Outlook Web Access instead. He can read and send mail using it. It will not be blazing fast over a dailup but it is usable.

You should also consider upgrading SBS 2000 to SBS 2003

The outlook web access works a lot better.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)