Question

Access to Windows Server 2003 Keeps Freezing Up (from XP)

By Camputer ·
I've installed a Windows Server 2003 box as a FileServer for about 15 systems. A simple workgroup, but the business has 2 separate networks, with two different IP ranges and gateways, so I've put an additional network card in the server (each configured to it's own network IP range). I'm using the same Subnet Mask for both. The problem is that the XP workstations will be running along fine, when all of a sudden their access freezes up. A reboot of the server solves the issue.
Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I can think to try is two new network cards (currently I'm using an onboard NIC and a second older NIC)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Are the network interfaces the same?

by OH Smeg In reply to Access to Windows Server ...

If you are using a 10/100 T Base and a Gigabyte Interface this will happen. The solution is to replace the Network Card with the same type as built onto the M'Board and that will cure the problem.

Col

Collapse -

Re: Are the network interfaces the same?

by Camputer In reply to Are the network interface ...

Hmm...ok, thanks, I will do that. At this point they are definitely different (Gb onboard and 10/100 for the separate NIC).
I'll try it as early as I can next week and get back to you.

Collapse -

I think you'll find that fixes the problem

by OH Smeg In reply to Re: Are the network inter ...

I once spent 5 days trying to figure out what was going on and when I fitted a Gigabyte Network to the system with a built on Gigabyte Interface it worked perfectly again.

I didn't even consider that as a possible problem either I just started changing things out of desperation when I couldn't get the system working properly. Of course it would have been easier if I had of fitted the second NIC as I would have known that it didn't work from the word go but the owners soon did it and his mother insisted that ti worked honest and I had to fix it up so that it worked just like her son had it working.

Pity was that it was working exactly as the son had left it. When I worked out what had happened I didn't have any problems with submitting a bill for my time either.

Col

Collapse -

Installed..waiting on results

by Camputer In reply to I think you'll find that ...

Today I installed two identical 10/100 NIC's and disabled the onboard LAN connector. I'll keep you posted on the results this week.

Collapse -

Problem solved it seems!

by Camputer In reply to Installed..waiting on res ...

No problems for 4 days now. Thanks OH Smeg! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Collapse -

Fun Little thing to find out about isn't it? <NT>

by OH Smeg In reply to Problem solved it seems!
Collapse -

Yah, a weird issue.

by Camputer In reply to Fun Little thing to find ...

One of those things you just have to see once before you figure it out.

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)