General discussion

Access2000 deleted records

By rchin ·
I kept a list of inventory parts in an Access 2000 database. This list is updated monthly. During the last editing session, due to a problem with the mouse, I accidentally selected all records and deleted all of them, and worse of all, I can't undo it. The size of the external database file remains as before, how do I recover the lost records?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gutridgesj In reply to Access2000 deleted record ...

i would think you would have to restore from a backup of the file. if there is another way, i would like to know also

Collapse -

by rchin In reply to Access2000 deleted record ...

The backup file I had is not current. Since I don't have this problem before, I never update the backups on a regular basis.

Collapse -

by Linda B. In reply to Access2000 deleted record ...

If the physical drive that contained the database file is intact, try something like Norton Utilities to recover or DOS hacking. Even if you've reformatted the drive, there is a chance to recover deleted data.

If all else fails there are companies that specialize in data recovery, you send the drive to them (for a fee, of course) and they send it back with the results.

We've been lucky both ways and hope it goes well for you, too.

Linda B.

Collapse -

by Cheryl Messer In reply to Access2000 deleted record ...

I agree with the "retrieve from backup" suggestion. The reason the file size is the same is because Access will not recove the space from the deleted items until you compact and repair the database. Unfortunately, one the items are deleted, they aregone. If you don't have a backup, then I would try one of the recovery companies. Good luck.
-Cheryl

Collapse -

by rchin In reply to Access2000 deleted record ...

Unfortunately I didn't make a backup. Now sourcing for a computer repair shop that also recovers data, but most just concentrates on hardware.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)