General discussion

Access2000question

By honey ·
Hi everyone! I am fairly new at this so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I actually have two questions. (1) I am trying to calculate one field by using another field in the same table. I have the expression builder and the expression I need to use, however the expression builder will not show any of tables, forms, reports, or queries, therefore it doesn't recognize my expression because it doesn't recognize my field that I manually inputted. Can anybody tell me how I can add my tables, etc. to the expression builder so I can create my expression? (2)I also would like to open only 2 of my forms only for viewing through the start-up switchboard for my shop employees to view, but not edit, can anybody tell me how to do this? Thanks a million.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CptOmlly In reply to Access2000question

In response to your first question: It is generally considered bad design to store a calculated value in a your data tables (and its therefore rather difficult). Calculated values should be handled "on the fly" using queries, form controls, etc. For example, you want to find the circumference of a circle based on a "diameter" value in Table1. Your select query should have the following format "Circumference: [table1].[diameter]*3.14". This will give you a field in your query called Circumference and the value will be calculated when the query is run. Or if you prefer the SQL statement: SELECT Table1.name, [table1].[diameter]*3.14 AS Circumference
FROM Table1;

Here's a good reference website for further info: http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut02.htm

As for the second question, you can control read or edit/admin access to forms using Tools>Security>User and Group Permissions and User and Group Accounts. First open the Permissions interface and change the Users group to the security desired for each object (forms, queries, etc.). Then open the Accounts group and create a new "User" account, and add it to the "Users" group you just assigned permissions to. You can create more groups and accounts as necessary, assigning granular permissions to edit/administer various parts of the database.

Hope this helps.

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)