General discussion

Access97 database in Access 2000

By andre.plamondon ·
Hi,

I want to open Access 97 Database in Access 2000 without converting it. Is it possible to tell to Access 2000 to do nothing when opening 97 Database ?

Thank you !!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Access97 database in Acce ...

Yes. You are given the choice - Convert to 2000 - (You might want to make a copy ahead of time, just in case) or Open. If you open a 97 MDB in 2000, you can work on it, add data etc. but you can't make structural changes to Tables/Queries/Forms and so on.

Collapse -

by andre.plamondon In reply to Access97 database in Acce ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Bob Sellman In reply to Access97 database in Acce ...

Yes, you can open it without converting it and run your forms, reports, etc. However....it may run MUCH slower. I have had a number of multiple user Access 97 databases/applications where some users tried using Access 2000 (without converting the database). The general experience was that the applications ran a lot slower.

So, while it can be done, I would strongly advise against running the database in the mixed mode (some users using Access 97, others with Access 2000).

And as mentioned in answer #1, absolutely be sure you have backed up your database (and application front end) BEFORE opening it with Access 2000.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums