Question

Acer Aspire 5050 keyboard won't work properly

By snakestang ·
I am working on an Acer Aspire 5050. When I first saw it, you had to strike the keyboard keys with force and repeatedly to get it to type a letter. On average, for every 10 strikes, it would type 4 strokes. I have researched this and have found no answers, just a lot of speculation and "try a restore or reformat", which is not an option for this owner. I tried disabling the Launch Manager, which controls the keyboard, but it made no difference after it reinstalled. I did see a post about the ACPI possibly being an issue. Since I could not find a way to disable it, and I did not want to risk having no battery management and who knows what other side effects, I decided to try the unit without the battery installed. I shut down the computer, removed the battery and rebooted the computer. Guess what - no more keyboard issue!! However, as soon as I put the battery back in, the keyboard stopped working properly again! The battery still seems to hold a good charge, lasting 1.5 hours according to the owner.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Have you considered the possibility ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Acer Aspire 5050 keyboard ...

That the laptop battery may well, when it is inserted, be interfering with the keyboard ribbon cable?

I'd remove the ACER's top fascia and keyboard, then take a look at how closely situated the ribbon cable and laptop battery actually are.

Collapse -

Something is loose inside

by OH Smeg In reply to Acer Aspire 5050 keyboard ...

And when the battery is inserted the Ribbon Cable where it connects to the M'Board is being moved and no longer making a proper connection to the Socket on the M'Board or one of the traces on it has broken and with the battery inserted is no longer making contact.

That would be my first impressions.

Col

Back to Smartphones Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)