Question

Acer Aspire 5610Z CD/DVD Rom troubles

By castdownmycrown ·
I have an Acer Aspire 5610Z that i purchased from walmart as a personal laptop for school. It runs Vista.

Recently my CD/DVD Rom was malfunctioning. It would show up in my hardware information one moment, then dissappear (for lack or better description).

This happened for awhile and i was told by a friend that a Trojan or a Virus had infected my computer, but none of my anti-virus could detect that my system had any such infection. Now it is not showing anywhere on my laptop, though it still has power and still runs.

Can anyone help?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Your friend needs his/her head examining . . .

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Acer Aspire 5610Z CD/DVD ...

S/he is jumping on the Virus-Bandwagon whereby anything that ever happens to a computer MUST be a virus. Next #global warming# will be the result of a computer virus!

Have you checked on Device Manager to ascertain whether the laptop can still 'see' the optical drive? If not, is the laptop still under warranty? If it is, I suggest you return it for repair.

Laptop optical drives frequently just give up the ghost due to inefficient heat dissipation within the laptop chassis.

Acer has a worldwide collect and return repair service so if you've paid for it you might as well get your money's worth and use it. :)

Collapse -

Check this Microsoft Support bulletin

by nepenthe0 In reply to Acer Aspire 5610Z CD/DVD ...
Collapse -

I have to agree with the above posters as well

by OH Smeg In reply to Acer Aspire 5610Z CD/DVD ...

This is much more likely to be a hardware issue than a Software issue. And not everything that happens to a computer is the result of a Infection unless you want to count installing Windows onto the computer then every Windows Computer has a Infection it's called Windows but it's not a Virus as people pay to have this put in place.

Besides the above suggestions if you leave a Disc in the drive this will drastically shorten the life of the drive as it runs all the time that there is a Disc in it.

Backup all your Data to some External Storage Device and return the NB to Acer for repair. This is what they guarantee their products to cover.

Col

Back to Malware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)