Question

Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi, properties says 512mb but bios says otherwise?

By zack247 ·
so quite recently, i got a laptop, an Acer Apire 5672 WLMi to be exact. So im a person who likes to play games on their pc and so i installed 2gb of ram. when i first got it, i went into the bios t see if i could use any of the ram as video memory, no luck, the "128mb" was unavailable for selection.
Just today, i hooked up a second monitor, i had gone into properties in the display settings tab, and in there it claimed that my video card was a 512mb one, not 128. if anyone wants i can upload a picture to prove it.
if my laptop does in fact have 512mb of video memory, how do i use it all?

it runs windows xp home edition, service pack 3.
has 2gb of ddr2 ram.
1.6GHz intel centrino duo processor
160gb sata hard drive.

so is the 512mb real? or is windows just misreading the amount of memory?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

i found out now...

by zack247 In reply to Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi, pr ...

that it does in fact have 512mb on-board.
the 512mb is only accessed when the laptop is plugged in to save power.
how can i make it so that the 512mb is accessible even when its running on battery power?

Collapse -

Here I think you mean that the

by OH Smeg In reply to Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi, pr ...

128 is used when on battery and the 512 is used when on Mains Power.

If you mess around you will shorten the battery life dramatically and need to plug into the Mains Adapter a lot more often.

But to change this setting if it is not hardwired into the NB look in Power Proprieties under Power Saving.

Col

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by zack247 In reply to Here I think you mean tha ...

thanks for letting me know that.
i dont mind the battery lasting longer because i always have a charger on me, but its just the having to sit near a plugin to play games that i would prefer not to be necessary.
i went into my power settings and changed it from Portable/Laptop to Desktop and all 512mb are available.
Thanks OH Smeg for the info :)

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by zack247 In reply to Here I think you mean tha ...

ok so today i turned onmy laptop, and theres a small probelm -- the setting are the same but my card is still performing worse again! whats up with this? i had all of the 512mb allocated yesterday and today its back to 128. if i update the bios could i gain control again?

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)