General discussion

AD Setup Wins 2003

By xiaitmb ·
Scenario:

This company is on a NT4 DC sitting on a old P2 server, with domain name example: conameabc. There are just a few settings on this old DC.
All the users stations are Wins XP joining to this domain 'conameabc'.
For all the other servers, some are Wins 2K while others are Wins 2k3; some are standalone and some are joining the NT4 domain.

Need to setup a new 2k3 DC on a new server, and to have all PCs and servers joined this new 2k3 domain.

1. As there is not much settings, thinking of a new setup rather than a migration.
Is it advisable to got for a new setup?

2. Thinking of changing the domain name from conameabc to, example coname12.
Is it advisable to change the domain name ?

3a. Supposedly i will to go ahead with changing the domain name (from the old one), on the users' PCs which are currently logged on to domain conameabc, what must i do to ensure that when they logged onto the new domain coname12, they have exactly all the links and icons on their desktops? is it via profiles, i tried something, but didn't work, appreciate the steps to this? or other approach, appreciate guidance.

3b. For those servers that are joined to the old domain, will there be any problem if they are to be change to the new domain?

Appreciate guidance. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by SamTheDon In reply to AD Setup Wins 2003

i will answer u r q's 1 by 1....
As there is not much settings, thinking of a new setup rather than a migration.
Is it advisable to got for a new setup?
Ans:When u create a new dc,r ugoin to migrate anyone or it's just plain new dc..if its new,then ther is no harm in settin up another dc with different name,or disconnect the existin dc,to maintain integrity among other servers.

2. Thinking of changing the domain name from conameabc to, example coname12.
Is it advisable to change the domain name ?
Ans:Changin domain name,alongwith changes to all the users is required to streamline u r loggins.u will nd to worry abt the user sessions as long as u r nt migratin.all the users will be able to logon.All the users will nd to configured to the new name for the server,or u can prepare a BAT file to just convert all users to the new dc name.

3a. Supposedly i will to go ahead with changing the domain name (from the old one), on the users' PCs which are currently logged on to domain conameabc, what must i do to ensure that when they logged onto the new domain coname12, they have exactly all the links and icons on their desktops? is it via profiles, i tried something, but didn't work, appreciate the steps to this? or other approach, appreciate guidance

All the users will need to configured to the new dc name.all other things will remain as it is.Permissions is all u nd to check for the user accounts.Specific group policies using gpedit.msc will have to be confgiured again.
All other things will remain,except the desktop session will be different after connectin to a new dc name.

3b. For those servers that are joined to the old domain, will there be any problem if they are to be change to the new domain?
No,just the network identification will nd to be run,all u nd to do is identify such machines,also user sessions/server login session are stored in cache,so nothin will be a problem for authenticating the existing users created in the new dc.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)