General discussion

Add long file name support to 4.11 volum

By decc ·
Are there any potential problems or issues that I need to be aware of (other than additional server memory) if I add long file name support to an existing Netware 4.11 volume. Is it as easy and loading the LONG nlm (add to autoexec.ncf?) then issuing the command "ADD NAME SPACE LONG TO volume" one time?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

21 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by bobrace In reply to Add long file name suppor ...

I think if you have enough space on your volume you're adding this to, you should be fine. I did this to all my 4.11 servers with no problem. As far as the "autoexec.ncf", I did not even place "Long.nlm" in there. All I did was type "Add Name Space Long to Volume volname" ( where volname is the name of your volume) at the console prompt. Two things to remember: You must down and restart the server after adding this command and you must add this for every volume name you want long files names on. Hope this helps.

Bob Racinowski

Collapse -

by decc In reply to Add long file name suppor ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Megtek In reply to Add long file name suppor ...

Totally agree...just wanted to point out that once you load it once...you do not have to load it again after re-boots. So do not put it in the Autoexec.ncf. One time only load.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by gregc In reply to Add long file name suppor ...

Memory and Disk space are your only issues. The steps to install it are this, load Long.nam at console prompt (NOT LONG.NLM). Then at the command line type "ADD NAME SPACE LONG to VOLUME SYS". That should be it. The module LONG.NAM will autoload every time the volume is loaded. Have fun.

Greg in Hotlanta

Collapse -

Collapse -

by mark.thaiss In reply to Add long file name suppor ...

If you have any MAC clients, you may want to check with Novell's knowledgebase before adding long name space. There are some outstanding issues with respect to file naming (ie. legal MAC names, converted to DOS names and displayed in the LONG name space). Other than that, no significant problems (and yes, it is as easy as ADD NAME SPACE LONG TO VOLUME).

Collapse -

Collapse -

by RBWerner In reply to Add long file name suppor ...

I agree with all the above, just wanted to add a note that once you add it to a volume you can't remove it

Collapse -

Back to Networks Forum
21 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next