General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Adding 2 WAN’s to IBM 2210 router

by jjhood ·

I have an IBM 2210 model 24E at my central location. I have a 256K frame relay circuit attached (DLC16). 6 other remote locations with 56K and 128K frame relay circuits(DLCI 17 thru 22) are connected to the central location. MCI has installed a second 256K frame relay(DLCI206) at the central location(MCI is giving me a lower rate if I change my current 256K to a new 256K). Anyway, I want to install the second 256K line (DLCI206) to my 2210 router (4 WAN capability) while running with the current 256K line(DLCI16). I am upgrading my remote offices from 56K to new 128K circuits. I want to first change over 1 remote office and test it for a week then do another and so on. Can I connect the new 128K circuit at my central location to the router and have both central location 128K circuits running together – some offices will be running on the current circuit and some on the new circuit? How do I configure my 2210 at the central location?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by ckilday ·

In reply to Adding 2 WAN’s to IBM 2210 router

You basically need to recreate your existing configuration on your new line. I don’t have any experience with IBM routers, but with frame-relay on a cisco, you have a primary interface with sub-interfaces differentiated by both DLCI and IP address. In order to migrate from one line to another, I would first disable the sub-interface for the remote station I’m going to move. Then I would copy the configuration (DLCI and IP address information) to the new link. Then I would turn up the remotesite on the new line. This will probably require coordinating a physical cutover with the telco unless they are running in a new line and equipment at the remote site…then you would simply connect the router at the remote end to the new telco equipment when you want to cutover. I would leave the old configuration on the old line, but in a disabled state, until after the new line had tested out properly. It just makes recovery a little faster if you have to move them back to the original line. Hope this helps. Best wishes,
      – ck

by jjhood ·

Let’s say that one remote office has DLCI 17 with an IP address of 192.168.20.1. The new circuit at this remote office has DLCI 201. Are you saying to disable DLCI 17 at the central location and adding DLCI 201 at the central location with the same IP address of 192.168.20.1? Do I have to disable DLCI 17 at the remote location and add DLCI 201 too?
      Thanks for your input.

by jjhood ·

By the way, my e-mail address at work is:
      johnhood@bayardsalescorp.com

Viewing 2 reply threads