General discussion

Adding 2000 drivers to NT4 print server

By hutchingsp ·
We're beginning to roll out 2000 desktop machines, however at present all our servers are NT4 including our print server.

From the desktop machines you can browse the server and double click on the shared printer and the driver will be automatically downloaded - this doesn't work for all printers as some have separate windows 2000 drivers and you're asked for an .inf file.

On the server on the driver properties tabs there is an "Alternate Drivers" box where you can add drivers for Windows95, 3.11 etc.. is there a way of adding the 2000 drivers so that 2000 machines can automatically pull down a correct driver?

Thanks in advance
Paul

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ejsotillo In reply to Adding 2000 drivers to NT ...

The only way to do this is adding the drivers locally at client level. If it was the other way around all you would have to do was to find the printer object in active directory.

Collapse -

by hutchingsp In reply to Adding 2000 drivers to NT ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Gregory W. Smith In reply to Adding 2000 drivers to NT ...

Unfortunately, I can't test this as I have only a single 2000 workstation on the NT4 LAN where I'm at.

But you should be able to add the driver from the workstation's "add driver" box.

At that point, you are actually accessing the printer settings on the server, although it appears local (For instance, the port it is printing to is at the server, not at your PC) So it should update the drivers at the server, but I cannot reliably test this.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)