Question

Adding 3 Local outlook address books to the GAL (exchange 2003)

By ryan1234bishop ·
Good day all

I have a client who wants to add 3 different local address books to the GAL, he also wants everyone to have access to it and able to add/remove contacts down the road

The only way I know of doing this is 1 by 1 adding the contacts into AD manually, which would not be too bad but they have over 3200 addresses that need to be added

is there any way to do this stand alone with outlook/exchange or does some sort of third party tool have to be purchased?

Thanks
Ryan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

What about public folders of type Contacts?

by Churdoo In reply to Adding 3 Local outlook ad ...

Sure you can import these address books as contacts, and even create a new address list in Exchange 2K3, I've done it several years ago, but I don't think that's the best solution so I'm not going to dig up that info right now ...

If you do import these addresses as contacts so they load in the GAL and/or separate address list(s), the problem is that users cannot add/change/delete contacts from the GAL, and you said that this ongoing maintenance is part of the requirement.

However, if you import these address books into new Public Folder(s) of type "Contacts" you can set the properties of the new public contact folder(s) to appear as Outlook address books, and you can permission such that users can self maintain.
--C

Collapse -

CSVDE, to answer your original question

by Churdoo In reply to Adding 3 Local outlook ad ...

csvde, located in the %systemroot%/system32 directory by default in Windows Server 2000/2003, can be used to import data from a CSV file as AD contacts or users.

See this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327620
The above article indicates Server 2000, but csvde is on Server 2003 as well, and I've used it with Server 2003/Exchange 2003.

As I mentioned in the previous post however, this tool will let you import the contacts into AD and therefore into the GAL, but users still will not be able to add/modify/delete contacts ongoing.
--C

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)