Question

adding a new exchange 2003 mail name

By leo42 ·
My company has an existing email address (example red.org). we are changing our name to (example blue.org). our current email cannot be removed since lots of people have it. how can I add the new mail name to my company and use both temporarily to then delete the old one in a few months. do i need to create new domain or new forests or with just new suffixes will this work and how to do this. Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Couple was to do this

by Dedlbug In reply to adding a new exchange 200 ...

First the easy way, and the way I would do it. Add a second domain to receive mail, but users can only send from primary. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174351

Basically you add the second domain in the Recipient Policy in Exchange, Set either one to primary, and forward mx records for that domain to same server. Check AD or update recipient policy for new domain/email address to update to users.

If you need to add a second domain so that users can send AND receive from both, check this out: http://www.amset.info/exchange/twodomainsoneuser.asp

There is a way to do this I think by creating a second SMTP Virtual Server, but I can't find any write up on it. Ususally I just use the turorial above to leverage "Send as" permissions.

Check it out and keep us posted on how you make out.

Collapse -

Sounds good

by leo42 In reply to Couple was to do this

first question:..To the easy way???
can I do this one which seems easy and just make the second email as primary and eventually delete the first domain in a few months?

would this interfere with AD since it might still look for the first domain in which the email server was created on originally.

second item to the harder........

adding a second domain would mean that I need to create another exchange server/DNS server under a new domain name within the same subnet location.

Collapse -

you can also change the domain name if W2003

by CG IT In reply to Couple was to do this

or later O/S versions. Then as Dedlbug mentions you can use the new mail address and still receive mail from the old address until contacts know of the new address.

Collapse -

new domain

by leo42 In reply to you can also change the d ...

I am a bit confused as to how it would route mail to me....

If I am purchasing this new domain name and I am setting up dns/mx records with my provider, then how is this going to work? would I still have to create the new domain from scratch by buying a physical server and add this new domain into my current forest tree?

or just by creating the recipient policy and telling dns to send it to this machine also would work... Thanks in advance..

Collapse -

no you can rename the domain name in W2003

by CG IT In reply to new domain

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm

once renamed and you've changed your Exchange to the renamed domain, you'll get email for that domain.

you can then do a mail hop of the old email address to the new domain eventually retiring the old domain name.

Collapse -

email restrictions

by leo42 In reply to no you can rename the dom ...

so just to be clear all i have to do is since I own my new hostname. I just need to add it to the recipient policy of my users. then create the MX and A records and point them to the exchange server.

would I be able to set the new domain as primary and send emails from that domain and keep the old one for just receiving until retirement day?

Collapse -

Here's your question

by CG IT In reply to email restrictions

My company has an existing email address (example red.org). we are changing our name to (example blue.org). our current email cannot be removed since lots of people have it. how can I add the new mail name to my company and use both temporarily to then delete the old one in a few months. do i need to create new domain or new forests or with just new suffixes will this work and how to do this. Thanks in advance.

One suggestion is if you run W2003 Server you can rename your domain [but you can only do this once] to the new domain name you want. you don't have to create a new Active Directory domain.

As far as email from the old domain, here's a Microsoft blog on Exchange and Domain rename.
http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2004/08/30/222719.aspx

there are many articles for hosting more than 1 domain name on Exchange and how to have old domain name emails available to users in a new domain name. Dedlbug had the article in his first post.

Collapse -

Great News!!!

by leo42 In reply to Here's your question

I followed some of the links you guys gave me and the advice aswell and the email started flowing in. I tested the new domain and the emails are coming in ok. I made sure "A" and MX records were configured to then test the server

I figured out that i can set the second domain in the recepient policy as default and people would get the reply from the new email address. Thanks for that.

This has been a great experience and I look forward to many more. Thanks a million guys....:)

Collapse -

Best to give thumbs to those who helped

by CG IT In reply to Here's your question

like Dedlbug who provided links that were helpful.

Back to Software Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)