General discussion

Adding a server in a W-2000 LAN

By mitronix ·
Hi There, I have a LAN controlled by a windows 2000 server that host the active directory. At the same time have a small group of users (4) and another sever (W-2000) in the same LAN that works in a work_group environment. I tried to bring the work_group to the domain, but everytime that I trien do make the work_group server join the domain, I have this error message: "Error when trying to join "domainname", the current credentials are in conflict with another group of existing credentials"
What should I do?...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by The Admiral In reply to Adding a server in a W-20 ...

change the admin pw and userid to match that of the domain controller, reboot, then try again.

Collapse -

They are the same

by mitronix In reply to

Already tried that, Admin pw and userid are the same in both servers. Error keeps poping...

Collapse -

by The Admiral In reply to They are the same

After you do that, then you have to go into the properties of the server, and tell it it is part of the domain.

You should get a pop up user id and password prompt. Then enter in the user id and password of the server admin account on the domain controller.

In some cases, you have to tell the domain controller that you want that server in your domain before it allows it to get in there. So you might have to add the server to the DC in order for it to get the OK.

Collapse -

NetBios Naming Issue

by BFilmFan In reply to Adding a server in a W-20 ...

Were you by any chance trying to keep the server name exactly the same as it was in the workgroup and move it to the domain?

Is WINS present?

Force the server into the domain with the NETDOM command and be sure to set the domain naming suffix when doing so.

Collapse -

Try the Technical Q&A forum.

by deepsand In reply to Adding a server in a W-20 ...

This is a tech. problem, in search of a solution.

It properly belongs in "Technical Q&A," not in "Discussions." Please re-post there.

Not only will you be more likely to attract the attention of those seeking to provide answers, but you will also make it easier for those seeking discussions to find such.

Thank you.

Collapse -

by The Admiral In reply to Try the Technical Q&A for ...

I think he recieved some good replies so far 8-)

Collapse -

Not the point.

by deepsand In reply to

The point is that TR intends that quests for solutions to one's specific problems be posted to the Q&A forum.

The Discussion forum is intended for matters of general debate.

Collapse -

Demotion

by thusoma In reply to Adding a server in a W-20 ...

Hey i think you might need to demote the server that you are adding to the domain or first release the ip address from the workgroup server connetc it to the domain and renew the ip address hope that helps

Collapse -

Demotio

by mitronix In reply to Demotion

Well..., the work_group server is already demoted and can?t change the IP 'cause is a database server and the rest of the PC?s are pointing to such IP.

Collapse -

by The Admiral In reply to Demotio

You can still demote the server and integrate it if it is a DC. You can't for some reason take one DC and add it to another, it don't work happy like that at all.