General discussion

Adding a Win98 client to WIn2000 Domain

By Jamed ·
How do you add a Win98 client to a Windows 2000 domain. I have the 98 client configured with IP and Microsoft Networking with the log in to a domain specified and the domain name in the box and quick login selected.

Do I need WINS on the dc 2000 server.
I have an entry already in DNS for the W98 client. I can ping the client and nslookup the client.

When I boot the client. The error message says that there was no DC server to validate you some services will not be available.

If anybody has a straight forward how to then I will be very happy to hear

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jwilczyn In reply to Adding a Win98 client to ...

Add this computer to your domain on the DC server.

Collapse -

by Jamed In reply to Adding a Win98 client to ...

Have already done this. Still could not attach to domain

Collapse -

I have added the computer to the domain through AD users/computers. Still unable to join the domain.

Collapse -

by expertpc In reply to Adding a Win98 client to ...

Windows 98 clients use WINS to locate the PDC emulator\DC. Supposedly using the Windows 98 Active Directory client resolves this but I have yet to see it work.

Also, create a share on the client as this is the only way that this will populate your Windows 98 machines onto the network places on 2000 machines.

Short answer....Yes you need to install WINS

Background....Windows 2000 is the first step in doing away with WINS by utilizing SRV records witin DNS. SRV records are identifiers like AD, DC, DHCP, WINS, Shares, etc, that are associated with the host records of each machine that provide that service. Ideally if you had an entire network of 2000 based machines running in Native mode, then you can do away with WINS. "IDEALY". In reality, 2000 clients utilize WINS when you first attach them to the domain during setup. You can get by this but it cause about 5 more minutes of work per machine and you have to know what to do or it becomes a real head scratcher.

Hope this helps

Collapse -

Thanks. This is what I needed to know and I have installed WINS and configured LMhosts file and this machine can now join the domain.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)