General discussion

Adding memory to a Win2000 box

By crust ·
I have ried to add memory to my Dell OptiPlex GX110 running Win2000 prof. Both times, using different memory, the computer seemed to accept the additional memory just fine but windows seems to vomit profusely giving me the following error and going no further:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NOPAGED_AREA
I have e-mailed Dell and search several places for resolution but nothing so far. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by EastExpert In reply to Adding memory to a Win200 ...

Oh, those brand name computers...

OK, first of all please boot the poor box again and carefully note the parameters shown after STOP 0x50. There will be FOUR of them. Write them all down. Note if they are the same each time or different.

Go for detailed troubleshooting steps as shown in: http://www.microsoft.com/DDK/DDKdocs/Win2KDB/w20_bugcodes_4w6f.htm
and
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/library/resources/reskit/samplechapters/fnhd/fnhd_exe_woti.asp - Ctrl+F and search for PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA there.

I believe your new memory wasn't quite compatible with the new motherboard. Yes, you don't just plug any memory in your brand name puter. While in text mode boot that might be OK, (while this new memory piece is not referenced); as soon as the new memory is actually read/written, you start getting the system to puke.

* Check with DELL about which kinds of memory can be added and which can NOT.

* Try to install the same chips in all banks, if they number more than one.

* Try to use driver verifier (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/55.ASP).

Collapse -

* Specific answer about what to buy for your DELL: http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=FA1012378
* http://answerapp.us.dell.com/us/en/askdudley/question.asp?DellSite=US&GUID=%7BD4620B5B-CAF3-11D4-8DCF-00A0C9D5A75E%7D&SVCTAG=&qSource=0&origin=0&site_name=dellonly&metasearch=no&ask=add+more+memory - lots of advice of dealing with memory problems.

Collapse -

Just forgot:
* Yet another practical advice - enter the BIOS before Win2k starts to load, view the overall configuration page (where memory size is reported), and save, despite the fact you didn't change anything. That proven to often help in case of installing new hardware, since BIOS parameters not always update automatically.

Collapse -

by crust In reply to Adding memory to a Win200 ...

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I am a network administrator. This would have saved my helpful friend and his sarcasm his valuable time. I will further qualify my needs. All the above mentioned has been unfruitful and by saying the memory was different I meant only by manufacturer -not different specs. I have since used two 64M modules made by the same manufacturer, both of which work great by themselves in this box - just not when in at the same time. It appears as though Win2000 just won't handle the additional RAM or the motherboard is whacked out. I'm leaning towards the first idea especially because of how buggy this OS has proven to be in other circumstances (yes I have applied SP1). If anyone has any further suggestions please respond. Serious suggestions by mature persons only.
Thanks

Collapse -

Sorry if you took the previous answer as sarcastic. I am a IT Manager/Sr. Network Administrator at an NT/2000-based ISP and am far away from stupid jokes. (Had worked in tech support when I was young, though, so I always start with easiest tips level...) Take no offense please.

Now back to the business:

I still believe the reason here lies in hardware. Corroded DIMM socket, for example. Might be poor electric contact. I will hardly believe in m/b screwed up, unless someone pressed REAL hard when installing memory in this bank before...

I must disagree with your point about Win2000 being buggy. It has proved itself _bulletproof_ for our business, and SP1 didn't worsen the server and desktops stability.

Further problem isolation steps I would suggest:

* Try inserting a single, say, 128MB chip instead of 2*64 to isolate RAM amount issues. (I'm sure it works. A Win2000 server works with 512MB for us, and that's 4*128MB chips);

* Examine the second memory socket (that oneyou have tried inserting your DIMM to) closely, to find traces of corrosion. Gold-plated pin DIMMs can cause corrosion when inserted in tin-covered sockets. E.g. Intel specifically warns against it! I myself have seen two computers with this problem. Must say the DIMMs inserted into such slots, usually have problems as early as during POST, reporting incorrect amount of total memory.

* Do you have more DIMM sockets than 2? Try inserting the second chip in 3rd or 4th socket to cut off the socket corrosion issues.

* Some BIOS (e.g. Award 6.0) allow to select memory settings (10ns, 8ns, Normal, Fast, Turbo) independently for each bank. Check if this is the case.

All said above is assuming you get Stop 0x50 right on W2k boot. If not, please notify so we can go further w/ideas.

P.S.
Please provide parameters of STOP 0x50... Are they always the same or differ with each stop?

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)