General discussion

Adding new 2003 Server to 2000 Domain

By gqstyles55 ·
Hi everyone,

first of all I apologize if this question has already been dealt with on this forum. However, I just wanted to state my exact situation. Here goes:

I have a brand new 2003 server that I will be installing on my domain to replace our aging 2000 server. My hope is to install the new 2003 server onto the current domain, promote it to a DC so users can start logging on to the new server and essentially remove the old 2000 server from the domain. I know that I need to run adprep to prepare my old server for the new 2003 server. I have a couple of questions:

1. After my old 2000 server has been prepped using adprep, and I've promoted my new 2003 server to a domain controller, will the two servers replicate automatically so that users can then start logging on to the new 2003 server?

I guess I really only had one question. I just want to know if after I promote my new 2003 server to a DC will it take over the roles of the old 2000 server once I take it off line (netlogon, etc.). Is there anything else I need to know? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Adding new 2003 Server to ...

you have to run addprep/forestprep and addprep/domainprep before you install the W2003 server on the W2K network as a DC.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

once you run addprep/forestprep and addprep/domain prep and add it as a DC you then you have to assign it roles.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

global catalog role allows users to use that DC to authenticate with.

Collapse -

by gqstyles55 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by gqstyles55 In reply to Adding new 2003 Server to ...

Thanks CG IT...Doesn't the global catalog and the FSMO's get replicated automatically when you promote a new server to a DC? Or do you have to do it manually?

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Adding new 2003 Server to ...

Once you've run forestprep and adprep on the current domain, install your new 2003 server and run dcpromo to promote it. Once promoted, Active Directory replication will be automatic. You do, however, need to check some things as far as basic network services and roles to be sure they are duplicated or moved to your new machine manually. Here are the ones I can think of at the moment:

1. If the DNS zone on your 2000 server is a primary zone, rather than Active Directory integrated, you need to change it to Active Directory integrated so that it will replicate to the new server.

2. If you are running DHCP on your 2000 server, you will need to authorize the new server and set up a scope on it before you shut down your old server.

3. You also need to MANUALLY move all of the FSMO roles to the new server, and make the new server a global catalog server, also MANUAL. These roles are not replicated, but individually assigned to each server specifically.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by gqstyles55 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by gqstyles55 In reply to Adding new 2003 Server to ...

thanks for the help curlergirl...

Now that I know I have to manually transfer all the FSMO roles manually, all I need to know is at what point do I do this? After I promote my new server to a DC?

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Adding new 2003 Server to ...

In answer No, the global catalog roles and FSMO roles are not automatically created. You have to assign the roles.

replication is for Active Directory. Not roles a server will be.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

yes. Only Domain Controllers can have FSMO roles so once you've dcpromo promoted the server then assign the roles you want the server to have.

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next