General discussion

ADSL router & windows server 2003

By jenral_Sam ·
I currently have a setup with one Windows server 2003, clients running w2k or w98 and an ADSL router.
Currently they are all using the router as a gateway to the net, what i want to do is have the internet routed through the server then to the clients so the server is directly connected to the internet and so i dont have to configure port forwarding to the server, it could also allow better security.
the Router has USB & ethernet but it is not practical to connect it to the server via usb because they are in different parts of the building.
so basically Router <====> Server <----> clients instead of Router <----> everything.

Thanks for reading :)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to ADSL router & windows ser ...

Is there a question in there? You basically described how to properly setup router-server-workstation access...

Collapse -

by jenral_Sam In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by VinnyD In reply to ADSL router & windows ser ...

You can add a 2nd nic card into the server to connect to the router.

But your still going to have to setup the port forwarding to the server.

You will just be making your network a more complicated setup then what you have now.

I would leave it the way it is and set a password policy on the server to have the users have strong passwords.

And remember to only turn on the port forwarding and the services that you need on the server.
Lock everything else you will not be using down.

Collapse -

by jenral_Sam In reply to

i have now solved the problem, i have set the server ip as a DMZ ip on the router so it forwards all incoming connections to the server no matter the port.

Collapse -

by jenral_Sam In reply to ADSL router & windows ser ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)