Question

Advanced Find in Outlook 2003

By Jrigney33 ·
Is there a way to change the order in which the Advanced Find feature searches through your emails?

I have a user who searched a particular phrase in Subject and Body, and it was taking a long time to search. The first item that comes up is the oldest one, and they get newer and newer. Is there a way to get it to start searching newer items first and work its way back?

I have shown him a way around it by using the Advanced search tab and limiting the time frame, but these are extra steps that I would like for him to avoid. He said it used to work that way until we recently rebuilt our exchange server due to a bad server crash.

Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Short answer is No.

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Advanced Find in Outlook ...

You can display the results of the search in reverse order, newest to oldest, by clicking the header. But, the search itself will still start at the beginning of the database and search to the end of the database.

Collapse -

It works on my inbox...

by Jrigney33 In reply to Short answer is No.

It appears to work this way on my own inbox. We both start off with our inbox sorted with most recent emails at top, and our list of results is also sorted in this manor. As his results come in though, they start from old and get newer, mine start with newest and get older.

This is why I thought it would just be some simple setting I am overlooking somewhere.

Collapse -

Troubleshoot searching with Advanced Find in OutLook

Have you tried this?

Finding documents is slow.
When you use the Advanced Find dialog box to search for files that contain certain information in their contents, the search is much faster if you select the specific type of file you are looking for. For example, if you are searching for Microsoft Word documents that contain the word "Sales", click Documents (*.doc) in the Of type box in the Advanced Find dialog box before you perform the search.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Collapse -

No such field...

by Jrigney33 In reply to Troubleshoot searching wi ...

Not sure if that would make much of a difference, it seems the only thing he is searching on is messages (this is in outlook). There is no "Of Type" field on this Advanced Find dialogue box.

He has very old emails in his inbox and when he is searching on a specific phrase that happens to be in a lot of his emails, it just takes a long time to complete the search. This wouldnt be so bad if it would pull the most recent first and work backwards (which it does do on my own inbox when I test it out).

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)