General discussion

Advice on Exchange 2007 vs. Linux Mail Server

By Nick_Student ·
I am helping a small company in Southern Minnesota to build an e-mail server. One of the problems that everyone is facing now is tight budget for the IT department. Recently we deployed a brand new DC which ate most (if not all) of the budget for this fiscal year.
I am looking for some advices on Exchange Server 2007 vs. Linux Mail Server (either Ubuntu or Fedora Red Hat).
I would like to hear what are the pros. and cons. in both situations.
I realize the fact where we talk about money spent for software (Exchange) vs. money spent for support (Linux). I think that if we can make the right pitch to the management team and support either idea (Windows Exchange vs. Linux) with good well supported statements we can make the right choice.
The company consists of 25 to 30 employees that work in the local office, and another 30 employees that will access the mail system from remote sites through web access.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

it really depends

by Jaqui In reply to Advice on Exchange 2007 v ...

when you say web access, do you mean using OWA features? or just a webmail /allow remote downloading to their systems client app?

if OWA is needed, you have to go exchange, it's the only system that supports it.

If you only need to have the ability to fire up email client and get the email from anywhere, then it's possible to use the linux server.
going Red Hat [ Enterprise ] is a cost, over and above support.
Going Red Hat's Fedora is shaky, fedora is "bleeding edge" and is not stable enough for corporate use.
Going Ubuntu you have their butchered security model to fix.

any linux distro is a valid option, there are over 200 of them.

CentOS, the open source leveraged free Red Hat Enterprise Linux, all the RH code for their "commercial" product, yet free.

Mandriva, one of the most user friendly of the big distros.
PCLinuxOS, based on Mandriva, with Mandriva's excellent gui system admin tools.
debian, one of the origial distros, 100% free, solid reputation for stablility.
[ drawbacks: no paid support available, militant about no proprietary software, often to the point of rejecting device drivers because of proprietary bin files for the chipsets ]

Novell's Suse / OpenSuse, in many ways a good option, but opensuse 11 isn't really there yet. I just looked at it quickly, and there are a number of issues with it, wait until 11.1 or 11.2 before going that route.

I could list a fair number of distros, for a long post, but that isn't needed, I'm sure you get the idea that you should look at options and finnd the one that best suites the company's needs, not pick because of media coverage.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)