General discussion

After upgrading to Server 2003, ODBC clients don't connect to System DSN

By matterofacts ·
After upgrading to Windows Server 2003 Standard from W2k Server, I can not get the clients to connect via ODBC System DSN to the SQL 2000 MSDE. I can however connect and run my application at the Server.

Error at the client-

Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Err0r: 11001
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState:'08001'
SQL Server Error: 6
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]Specified SQL server not found.

One of the MS knowledgebase articles
( 306865 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306865 )
said to check the registry to see what ports were set for SQL on the server. It was unclear in the article since it talked about two different registry entries and said to change one of them or both - not sure. When I looked at the registry, one entry had 1220 and the other had 'Default TCP/IP Port at 1433.

Here is the fix in 306865 -

"Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the TcpPort value in the following key in the registry:

Named instance:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\[InstanceName]\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp\TcpPort

{My server says its set to 1220 in this entry above}

Default instance:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\TCP\TcpPort

{Is this a Microsoft typo above - "MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer" shown twice? My registry on the server says

"MSSQLServer\Client\SuperSocketNetLib\TCP\DefaultPort - set at 1433]

3. On the Edit menu, click String. Enter either of the following values:a. Type the port number you want. -or-

b. Enter a value of 0 to have SQL Server dynamically detect and assign a port the next time SQL Server starts.

4. Click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor."

In this article which entry or both is suppose to fix this - the
Microsoft SQL or SSQLServer?

When I do a Nestat -a it does not show any ports with SQL so I think this is where the problem is. Providing more

explanation to how to set the entries referred to in knowledgebase article 306865 would be helpful.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)