General discussion

AMD 1.4 GHZ Crashes in WIN2000&ME

By dvnguyen20 ·
Problem: When the FSB of the CPU in the BIOS is set to 133mhz the motherboard automatically detects the CPU as a AMD Athlon 1.4 Ghz (Which is correct). However at this setting, I begin to having problems installing Windows 2000 or ME. I figured maybe I should try the FSB at 100mhz and it deteced a Athlon 1050mhz. Everything went well when installing WINME. So then I tried setting the FSB back to 133mhz after the installation, Windows just wouldn't load up. All I would get is a blue screen stating "Windows protection error. You must reboot the system" or something of the liking. I tried rebooting and it stated the samething. So instead of 133mhz FSB i tried setting it to 130mhz by user defined. After doing so, Windows Loaded up. But then after a couple of minutes it would come to that blue screen again or freeze up. Any suggestions on why i cant have it set to a FSB of 133mhz and 1.4 ghz processor.

Current System Specs:

Asus A7M266 Motherboard
AMD 1.4Ghz Processor
Kingston 512MB DDR SDRAM PC-2100
IBM 60GB Hard Drive
Plextor 16x/10x/40x CD-RW
Pioneer 16x DVD 116S INT IDE
Nvidia Geforce 3
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Linksys Ethernet card
300watt ATX Power Supply

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to AMD 1.4 GHZ Crashes in WI ...

Documented issues of loading Windows Operating Systems on AMD processors over 500mhz is noted that the timing could be a factor that you may have to slow the timing down to load OS,and then you can reset the timing back to default.
Look up info on solving this issue from the manufacturers web site or review previous questions from Tech Republic.

Collapse -

by dvnguyen20 In reply to AMD 1.4 GHZ Crashes in WI ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by SixFourtyKilo In reply to AMD 1.4 GHZ Crashes in WI ...

Also make sure you have chosen the correct multiplier. You may be attempting to overclock the chip without even realizing it. I believe that they have disabled the overclocking feature in the 1.4, so you may not be noticing an incorrect calculation. If you have a retail chip, they may include some suggestions. I've had minimal problems loading ME on my 1.33.

Hope This Helps!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Those are great suggestions. However, i have already adressed those resolutions before and they have not worked. Like i said before i have lowered the timing to install windows os, then when i tried to raise it back to default (1.4) i get the windows protection error. Also for the comment on the multipliers... well, it has no multiplier dips so the setting in the bios is grayed out. Any other suggestion. I've been running into nothing but problems since i built this pc. I had to get the Mobo and the HD replace. Now i have three ploblems that i have to address with this new PC. Trying to get it to run in Jumper Free Mode which doesn't seem to be working well, making it shut down automatically when windows shut down, and setting the FSB at 133mhz and running it on windows.

Collapse -

by pault In reply to AMD 1.4 GHZ Crashes in WI ...

Just my 2 cents worth. Shut down ACPI,APM and any Antivirus in the bios.Before install, Also you say you have 512mg memory? take one stick out for install, or move one stick to the third slot,or 4th. (better to just use 1)
Turn off AGP fast writes in bios, turn off ECC checking(unless you are positive that your memory supports it),Turn Auto Detect Dimm/PCI to off.. See if this helps ......
Im curious because im planning on getting close to your setup myself.. Im running a 600 slot athlon at950 with a first revision Epox Ep-7kxa Muskin 128 Hsdram 150. hotrod raid Pci card running 2 drives that are not matched, plus a Sblive 5.1 Which by the way seems to be most of my trouble. So you might try yanking it untill you get a good install, then add it back in .. hope this helps
Paul

Collapse -

Reason Im giving you the points is because from some strange reason after reading your reply it gave me the idea that it maybe the power supply which it was. Thanks for you help...

Collapse -

i did finally find a solution... and it was probably the most obvious too. I have to admit it was poor on my part not to notice it from the beginning. The cause of the problem that I'm having is that I'm using a 300 wat PS when on AMD website the 1.4ghz athlon requires a 350 watt or greater. I just recently took out a 400 watt from my other computer and everything went smoothly.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)