General discussion

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU

By jordanspcrepair ·
how do i know if my processor is bad? my motherboard will not give any error beeps, and i think it is shorted out. although the system fan and the cpu fan is working.

and what motherboard manufacturers support Kbyte DDR-SDRAM DIMM memory modules? MSI?? ASUS?? cause i paid good money for my 256MB PC2100 memory module, and i don't want to buy a motherboard to find out that the memory will not work.

and even if the manual for the board says memory supported is PC266 MHz, PC333 Mhz, etc. will the memory work?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU

Why did you buy more memory? Was there a problem with the old or are you just upgrading? Your manual or the CD that came with the main board should tell you what type of memory to buy. If not try the makers website. Memory is problematic per each change in the manufacture of motherboards. Some use the same memory for most of their boards but most have a type, speed and FSB for each new board. If you look at the main board there should be a number name or FCC ID that you can look up to find any info you need. But name brand computers are some times proprietary in that the main boards they use have no identifying numbers or name on them. So you have to go back to the person/company you bought them from to get help.
What dose your computer do at boot? Do you get any screen info like finding drives, memory ECT?

Collapse -

by jordanspcrepair In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU

Why did you buy more memory? Was there a problem with the old or are you just upgrading? Your manual or the CD that came with the main board should tell you what type of memory to buy. If not try the makers website. Memory is problematic per each change in the manufacture of motherboards. Some use the same memory for most of their boards but most have a type, speed and FSB for each new board. If you look at the main board there should be a number name or FCC ID that you can look up to find any info you need. But name brand computers are some times proprietary in that the main boards they use have no identifying numbers or name on them. So you have to go back to the person/company you bought them from to get help.
What dose your computer do at boot? Do you get any screen info like finding drives, memory ECT?

Collapse -

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU

The very first thing to look for is a build up of dust and other rubbish in the case. You can also look for some wire ties the plastic coated ones sometimes these get used to the determent of the computer but they make the cables look neat.

If there are no obvious sings of a short pickup the case and shake to see if anything rattles around sometimes screws get dropped and can cause the M'Board to stop working. Then if there is nothing obvious remove any plug in Cards and the RAM and reseat them all and see if it them works. Sometimes just lifting something out and re-seating it will make the unit work again.

If this is a new unit and hasn't worked from the beginning the most obvious thing is that the Video Card is incompatible with the M'Board this is something that is quite common with AMD M'Boards generally a different maker with the same chip set will cure the problem or you may need to go to a different chip set video card.

Really without more information it's almost impossible to tell what is happening here particularly if you just get a blank screen with the fans running. A little more information as to what is going on here would help and if this is a new build and things like that.

Col

Collapse -

Collapse -

by motaz2us In reply to AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU

any way you can try your ram out anther mother board to find any error
or you can romve all the ram of mother board and trun on the boead to hear the error beeps to check up your mother boaerd working fine

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jordanspcrepair In reply to AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)