General discussion

AMD XP3000+ cooling

By rorycarlin ·

Can anyone tell me what temperature my AMD XP 3000+ should be running normally at. It's currently running at it's default speed but the temperature sits somewhere between 65 and 75 degrees celcius. I reckon this is probably too hot.

Can some recommend a good yet quiet cooling solution?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to AMD XP3000+ cooling

Depending on the exact CPU model, the maximum rated CPU die temperature is either 85 or 90 degrees C.

There is an internal thermal diode that will shut down the system if the CPU temperature exceeds 125 degrees C.

As to cooling, first make sure that there is enough free airflow in your case.

I add case inlet fans to my systems.
Per AMDs thermal guidelines, you want cool air coming in over the heatsink fan and the hot air from the heatsink should be sucked away through a bottom fan on your power supply.

If your power supply does not have air vents or a fan on the bottom, changing to a better power supply with the fan may be all you need to do.

Once you have enough cool air flow into the case, you might want to look into some of the copper finned heatsinks.
Some of these even use external fans.
The thinner copper fins allow for more thermal dissipation than a normal aluminum heat sink.

I like fans from Thermaltake and Thermal Integration Technologies my self.

A source for copper heatsinks is

Collapse -

by rorycarlin In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to AMD XP3000+ cooling

AMD has technical papers concerning cooling and operating temps. This is a link to the AMD XP Athlon System cooling guidelines. There are about 3 or 4 other technical documents available which address cooling issues including a paper on methodologies on determining processor temps. Documents are PDF so make sure you have Adobe Acrobat reader installed. This is a great source of information on how to's for the Athlon XP

Collapse -

by rorycarlin In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by rorycarlin In reply to AMD XP3000+ cooling

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)