General discussion

Amptron 807 Sound/Gameport enable?

By TranMan ·
I want to enable the sound/joystick ports on my Amptron 807 motherboard (Socket A, Award Bios, VIA 8363 chipset, Win98se). I know, I know...everyone wants to disable them, but this is my kid's computer, and I don't want to spend the bucks for a sound card. I have the CD that came with the motherboard, but the readme files are horrible, and I have tried to install the sound drivers on the CD, and they seem to install, but Win98 still says I have no audio device. Have spent hours on this problem, and am incredibly frustrated. Help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dcosgrove In reply to Amptron 807 Sound/Gamepor ...

There is most likely a jumper on the M/B to enable/disable onboard audio. if you dont have the manual, try looking near the pci slots. It's generally labled pretty well. If there is no jumper, you may have to enable it in the bios. I have seen one M/B that seemed to automatically detect pci sound cards and disable the on board stuff. My only guess with this type would be to ensure that no audio devices are loaded in safe mode, try a clear cmos and boot back up. Good luck.

Collapse -

by TranMan In reply to Amptron 807 Sound/Gamepor ...

Sorry I didn't say more--there is a jumper that selects onboard codec/AMR- it's set to codec. Another jumper selects onboard codec master/slave- it is set to master. In the bios you can select codec disabled/auto- it is set to auto. BTW, this is apparently a PC Chips motherboard with Amptron printed on the box to confuse rookies like me.
Also, I have cleared the bios about a zillion times, reloaded the OS (wiped the H/D for good measure), loaded both the performance and non-performance defaults of the bios; etc; etc.

Collapse -

by ridire In reply to Amptron 807 Sound/Gamepor ...

Start Windows in safe mode, go to Device Mangler and then "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" and remove EVERYTHING there. Restart the computer from a cold, power off state and the devices should be detected properly!

It sounds like multpile entries in the Dev Man, and they will only be visible in Safe Mode.

--Paul

Collapse -

Sorry to be so slow on the response. I tried your trick. Nothing in "S,V&GC".
I have given up, and went out and bought a Soundblaster live value. That works fine. Go figure.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)