General discussion

And then there were none: John Babcock (1901-2010)

By Oz_Media ·
Sadly, John Babcock, the Canadian Military's last WWI survivor, passed away today at the age of 109.

From Wikipedia:
"Babcock first attempted to join the army at the age of fifteen, but was turned down and sent to work in Halifax until he was placed in the Young Soldiers Battalion in August 1917. Babcock was then transferred to Britain, where he continued his training until the end of the war.

Having never seen combat, Babcock never considered himself a veteran and moved to the United States in the 1920s, where he joined the United States Army and eventually became an electrician. In May 2007, following the death of Dwight Wilson, he became the last surviving veteran of the First World War who served with the Canadian forces. From that point he received international attention, including 109th birthday greetings from the Queen of Canada, the Governor General of Canada and the Canadian Prime Minister until his death on February 18, 2010."

Last November Rembrance Day, when I posted my annual reminder and salute to the fallen for the TR peers to join me in remembering, I made a mistake in saying how there were fewer WWI Vets left when I go to ceremonies each year; of course I actually meant WWII vets.

I was quickly reminded that there weren't too many WWI vets around at all these days. Now, from Canada's military, there are none. Though he never saw action in England, he stayed committed and joined the US Military, now that's dedication! Ready to fight for Canada, England and the USA.

Rest in peace Mr. Babcock, may your memory live on forever in our hearts and minds.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Dedication, indeed.

by seanferd In reply to And then there were none: ...

I join you in your salute.

Collapse -

God rest his soul

by jck In reply to And then there were none: ...

Sounds like quite the man.

Collapse -

Well like he says

by Oz_Media In reply to God rest his soul

He doesn't consider himself a war hero, and most who even fought through terrible battles don't claim as much either, simply that they were "in the company of hero's".

All the same, to survive that long, through so many historical events and changes, both of the Earth's nations and your life, certainly takes some muster.

People these days winge about a slight learning curve when Windows moves a shortcut !

Collapse -

RIP Mr Babcock

by IC-IT In reply to And then there were none: ...

And I wish I could have played Taps for you.

As soon as Taps was sounded that night in July 1862, words were put with the music. The first were, "Go To Sleep, Go to Sleep." As the years went on many more versions were created. There are no official words to the music but here are some of the more popular verses:

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the hills, from the lake,
From the sky.
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,
May the soldier or sailor,
God keep.
On the land or the deep,
Safe in sleep.

Love, good night, Must thou go,
When the day, And the night
Need thee so?
All is well. Speedeth all
To their rest.

Fades the light; And afar
Goeth day, And the stars
Shineth bright,
Fare thee well; Day has gone,
Night is on.

Thanks and praise, For our days,
'Neath the sun, Neath the stars,
'Neath the sky,
As we go, This we know,
God is nigh.

Collapse -

I'm standing, with my head bowed in honor of this man

by JackOfAllTech In reply to And then there were none: ...
Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)