Question

Anti virus for windows server 2008 r2

By alisaeed ·
Hey guys I want to install anti virus on server 2008 r2..any suggestions as to which one should I go for?
Going for these few things
1) easy to use
2) easy on the server
3) widely used so got for support use later
4) recommended

Your suggestions will help a lot thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

How many licenses?

by gechurch In reply to Anti virus for windows se ...

Are you just looking to purchase a single license? Or will you be installing on multiple PCs as well? The reason I ask is most server AV products have a minimum buy (normally of 5 licenses, for the products I tend to sell).

To answer your question:
- Vipre is very popular for servers. It integrates with quite a few other products (RMM tools etc), and ticks all the boxes for your other requirements. It seems be very well regarded among server administrators (read some appropriate threads on spiceworks.com to see some feedback on this issue).
- The only server offering I recommend that I use myself is Webroot SecureAnywhere. It's a cloud-based offering (you install an agent on each machine, but the smarts and definitions are all online). I've been really impressed with it. The installer takes literally about 10 seconds, and the memory footprint is about 2MB. Pretty amazing.
- Eset NOD32 ticks the boxes too. I've used it on desktops and liked it a lot, but have never tried their server offerings.
- I'd say the same about Kaspersky as I did for NOD32.

I'd probably check them out in that order. Whatever you do make sure you get a proper server product (desktop versions will probably refuse to install on a server anyway, but if they do don't expect them to be Exchange or AD-aware. They may well block core processes). Also, give thought to whether you need the resident component running 24/7. Some people disable the resident shield and rely only on full scans each day outside of business hours. In my experience the resident components cause 90% of the problems, so it's worht considering.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)