General discussion

Anti-Virus Protection for Windows 2000 S

By garylatman ·
What is the best anti-virus protection for a computer that has Windows 2000 Advanced Server software on it? My Norton 2002 didn't work.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Anti-Virus Protection for ...

Norton Enterprise Edition of Norton AntiVirus. The standard desktop Antivirus program wont' work on a server. See Symantec for a demo copy of their enterprise antivirus software program. [note: there is no user friendly graphical interface for theirEnterprise edition antivirus program. One uses' the command line for running checkups and updates.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Anti-Virus Protection for ...

Both Norton and McAfee offer excellent server based antivirus programs. [my personal favorite is Norton however McAfee fans will say theirs is best. I doubt their is "one" best server based antivirus program. ]

Collapse -

by garylatman In reply to Anti-Virus Protection for ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by colin In reply to Anti-Virus Protection for ...

All our clients use Network Associates Total virus defens, Includes Netshield for servers, Groupshield for exchange and Virusscan for clients.

Easy to configure, can update regularlt from the internet and clients can update from the server, all automatically.

Good product.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by EJ Honda In reply to Anti-Virus Protection for ...

We had similar problems when attempting to run AV software on OS-hardened W2K Adv Server platforms for our public web site. Norton and Trend Micro relied on services that we had disabled as part of our hardening. We found that Computer Associates'eTrust InoculateIT v6.0 works well. We're even able to perform automated updates with it in our very restrictive environment. I'm not a CA fan, but the product certainly fits the bill in this case. CA's licensing scheme is very confusing, so I would recommend calling them for help in purchasing the correct product. We called and found the phone rep very helpful in directing us to the right product numbers when we described what we were looking for. Good luck.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Darthkim In reply to Anti-Virus Protection for ...

Just a correction.

the symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.0 does come with gui and a management console. It has been for as long as i can remember (back to 5.0)

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Security Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)